Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jan-2019, 13:32
Bikes: 1998 ST2

Mood: Got the bike ready for my first visit to the TT and it then got cancelled!
Rear shock rebuild / replacement

The rear shock on my 1997 ST2 is getting a bit 'tired' and starting to weep slightly - as it would after 22 years!

I have found a company called Brooks Suspension who do refurbs/rebuilds for £130 which would at least leave the bike looking standard.

Has anyone on here got experience of them, good or bad?

The other option is to go for something like a Hagon at around £300 (+£100 for remote adjustment). I don't need a high-spec race shock or anything like that, but are there any other recommendations?

Many Thanks,

Phil
Old 24-Jan-2019, 14:46
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hi Phil,

I've heard good reports of Brooks but not used them personally.

The ST4s rear Ohlins shock is a good upgrade and the remote preload adjuster is useful for loading variations.

I paid £120 to get my Ohlins rebuilt last year so your quote is right in the ball park.

ebay, gumtree and even Facebook Marketplace are all hunting grounds!

Good luck

Cant resist a browse!

Here is the best price v condition Ohlins I could find on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-ST...0/153333948765
Old 28-Jan-2019, 01:03
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I've bought a few parts from Brooks for when I'm rebuilding forks or shocks and £130 is a good price if it includes Seals, renewing the oil and re-gassing
I'm guessing it is a Sachs shock as satndard, a little tricky to get apart but easy enough when you know what your doing and have the right tools

alternatives would be something like a shock from a newer Ducati such as an ST3 or ST4, or even a 620/800/1000 Monster as they are all 305mm centre to centre on the mounting holes. If going for a Monster one I would see about swapping the sping off your one to the replacement as I think it is a bit stiffer.

Good alternative would be a Nitron R1 shock, although a Monotube without an external reservoir they do contain a floating piston that seperates the oil from the gas and hydraulic preload is an option

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 28-Feb-2019, 14:18
Bikes: 1998 ST2

Mood: Got the bike ready for my first visit to the TT and it then got cancelled!
Thanks for the feedback - the old shock should get removed this weekend.