Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 26-Feb-2009, 22:56
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Shiny engine cases sir?

My bro has just started a business in Guernsey wet-blasting manky old engines for everything from Bugattis to Z900s. The engine below was from an ancient Z9, results speak for themselves.

The machine is a Vapormatt Lynx, uses plastic/glass beads, zinc oxide, ball bearings, etc in a solution. Guess who's Superlight is going to have a very shiny engine!

Ali
Old 27-Feb-2009, 05:01
GTL

Mood: Faster!!!
er.......does it work on magnesium?
Old 27-Feb-2009, 09:51

Stupid me

Hi I know this might sound a bit stupid but I hope the oilways and bearing journals etc were taped during blasting we used to call that vapour blasting gives an exellent finish. We also used to rumble some components and that gave an exellent finish as well, It's something you can rig up at home and diy it.
Sorry for being the big nose Alex.
Old 27-Feb-2009, 09:56
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I had the 450RT cases vapour blasted-came up like new. The only issue is that if the cases are polished-as Ducati singles are-the process leaves them with a matt finish-which I like but others may not.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 27-Feb-2009, 16:29
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I may just be a sad old perv, in fact it's almost certain, but sexy naked engine bits don't half give me the 'orn.....am I the only one?

What are the prices like Ali?

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 27-Feb-2009, 16:47
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Prices are really reasonable, think it cost the guy with the z9 about £200 for the whole engine. Freight to/from Guernsey can be reasonable if you send with a courier used to shipping there.

From what I understand they change the media in the solution to finish different parts of the cases to avoid damage to bearing faces. J said most of the above was done using glass beads which shatter, rather than grind, when you take the nozzle too close to the object. They've got 2,000 hours of additional testing coming up on every imaginable material using every type of media the machine supports, but Vapormatt have been doing this for yonks so they know what they're doing.

Ali

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit