Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Feb-2005, 16:37
Big Twin

Looks like I might have thrown a fly in the ointment here, so to speak!
I was only repeating what RS Bikepaint told me at the time, and I argued strongly that "surely there was only one Ducati red?"

I have just spoken to them on the phone, ordering a touch up bottle for both my red 749 and wifey's blue M620. They said that Ducati are very vague on colour codes and whilst Ducati insist that there are the same colours in their experience that is not the case. They work on model/year/colour.

Spray cans are still £10 ea, touch ups are £5 and they do 1/2 litre red which is a '3 pack' for £38. In actual fact, the metallic blue on the monster is a pack of 3 touch up bottles for base, colour and top coat. I am intending buying the 1/2 litre pack for a race fairing, if the touch up red looks right. I am confident that it will, and they (money back) guaratee that it matches.

Phew. That's all I know.

Cheers
Henry
Old 24-Feb-2005, 17:52
Montjuic

Mood: SP4 is back
I ordered the paint from e-bay yesterday at lunchtime, it was delivered today. Fantastic service from bike colours, still have not got the SP4 back from Kais yet, it is then going to Ital Sport for the service so it will be next week before I find out whether it matches or not.

I don't fancy riding it for the first time in this weather so I am not overly stressed about the time it is taking, as long as it is being treated with care by the people who are servicing it and getting it ready to put it back on the road.

Simon
Old 24-Feb-2005, 23:03
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
paint

Is the Cagiva red slightly more orange than the later models with the different style decals?
can you get touch-up for the gold on the disc carriers/bronze on the frame and satin black for the engine casings as all these areas need some work on my T8.
ian
Old 24-Feb-2005, 23:05
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Ford Radiant red(Halfords etc) seems quite close for stone chips if you don`t need a concours finish.
Old 24-Feb-2005, 23:09
Big Twin

It might be worth giving RS a call and ask them ... they have 17,000 colour for bikes dating back to the 1920's. (scroll up for details) I reckon you'd be very lucky though if someone has matched the disk carriers. The frame, possibly. As for satin black on the engine, surely you'd respray with some hammerite high temp satin black (Halfords). I've just used that on my lads 50cc supermoto exhaust, I'll know i f a few weeks whether it stays on or not. Probably Not!

Henry
Old 25-Feb-2005, 01:39
Montjuic

Don't know about the frame or discs, but if you can get the VHT brand engine enamel it's excellent, and it comes in satin. In fact they do a whole range of exhaust stuff as well. When I had my bevel I used some of there internal anti blueing treatment on the pipes and it was great. Took over a year to get discolouration.

As for the Ducati red IMHO they are very different from pre 90 to 90+. The slight differences from 90 on may be as somebody has said, to do with the preparation and painting processes used.

I've made a hybrid out of my bikes to demonstrate differences, pictures weren't all taken under same lighting, but is kinda indicative. Especially the F1 which is definately Orange in comparison.
Old 07-Jun-2005, 12:11
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
I've just been in contact with RS paints, after reading this post. Very helpful and touch up paint is on it's way.
Old 07-Jun-2005, 12:36
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
I've just been in contact with RS paints, after reading this post. Very helpful and touch up paint is on it's way.

That's good to hear. I should be on commission the number of times I plug those people!
Old 07-Jun-2005, 12:45
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
They asked where I got their name from and I said the DSC. - Maybe they'll place an ad' in Pronto.

Thanks for the contact number Henry.