Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Mar-2009, 21:44
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
you could also practice by moving your head to around where the wing mirror would be....... look at someone pretty like rossi or whoever and try to mimmick their style.....it will feel alien but when you go look at the pictures at the track you will look right!
Old 30-Mar-2009, 21:53
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
yep, do the head thing, especially on the road and on my bimmer!! have some good (better than above) pics of me doing that at brands, so kind of move my uppper body but not the bottom bit

s'pose I'll have to try and hope survival kicks in when its needed, not because it thinks its needed!!
Old 30-Mar-2009, 21:59
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb
You have to ask why its required to hang off and what the reason and benefits are!!

.........and at a low speed roundabout its not......in fact probably at all roundabouts ............. except when you want to make a poxy video.......

ok...mallory hairpin, which is the pic before, or cadwell hairpin etc etc

but r/bouts are a great place to learn the technique if chosen correctly
Old 30-Mar-2009, 22:00
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
If you're talking about wanting to ride fast then the key to that is comfort on the bike. You need to adopt a riding style and position that makes you feel comfortable and relaxed to the point where you are feeling no discomfort and positioning is not impinging on the job at hand - riding. This will allow you to concentrate properly.

What works for you might not work for someone else and in this case I really do think you need to figure this out for yourself. With all respect, you're a big lad so some skinny rake isn't going to help you with this. If you approach a corner and you're spending mental effort trying to position yourself in manner that someone else thinks is correct then you're not going to make the best job of that corner.

Compared to some people I barely hang off at all either on the road or on the track. This has both advantages and disadvantages, but it works for me.
Old 30-Mar-2009, 22:10
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
i found at first it does feel wrong but after a while you get used to the new position. i started by concentrating on getting my upper body over first, when that started to feel good i moved my backside out of the seat in order to help. when i got the hang of that i started to try and get the right wieght balance on my legs.
hanging your arse off and leaving the rest of you over the middle of the bike doesn't help at all
Old 30-Mar-2009, 22:15
MotoGP God

TWPD - I guess my main worry is running out of lean angle. I use all my tires on the road, have been known to scrape parts and carry a reasonable bit of corner speed too. If I want to go racing again (and I do!!) the only way I can up my corner speed is to use less lean anlge, and use my weight instead (so I'm told)

Glyn - I guess give it a go is the massage, ta
Old 30-Mar-2009, 22:31
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
TWPD - I guess my main worry is running out of lean angle. I use all my tires on the road, have been known to scrape parts and carry a reasonable bit of corner speed too. If I want to go racing again (and I do!!) the only way I can up my corner speed is to use less lean anlge, and use my weight instead (so I'm told)

In the main that is correct. Run out of tyre and you will crash. However, if you have even the slightest bit of tyre left you will be amazed at how many extra degrees of lean you have left. 2-3mm of tyre might give you another 5-10 degrees of lean depending upon tyres, tyre pressures and the corner/camber.

I look at your photo and to my mind you're not really anywhere near using up all that tyre. If you look at the foto of me below you will see I am achieving very high lean angles, but typically when I check the tyres I still have a bit left so, clearly there's more lean angle to be had. I have only once run out of tyre that I can recall.

[

I look at your positioning on the bike and you seem very stiff and set to me. Look at my arms and how they are bent compared to yours - yours are dead stiff and locked straight. At the risk of causing some offence, and I don't mean to, some of this is probably a result of your physique. That will dictate to you how to sit on the bike and until you change that physique it is going to be difficult to do much about your positioning or that way you clamber over the bike. By the same token tall blokes find it hard to tuck in, small blokes find it hard to keep a foot on the outside peg when cornering. Everyone's physique has a bearing on their positioning on the bike.

It's all very well someone telling you to hang off more, but if you can't for whatever reason then you are going to be forcing yourself to try to ride to a style that won't work for you.

You talk about upping corner speed - there's other aspects other than outright corner speed where you can gain time on the track.

Last edited by twpd : 30-Mar-2009 at 22:36.
Old 30-Mar-2009, 22:36
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
oooh if were willy waving.....

but on a serious note.............outside arm straight inner arm bent, could lower my head a bit more really, and if i had of would of been in elbow down territory, up on the inside toe so the foot doesnt touch.....gripping with the outer leg inner thigh.........all for the camera really!

most important bit is looking where i want to go.........and youll go there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new picture.jpg (81.3 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by andyb : 30-Mar-2009 at 22:40.
Old 30-Mar-2009, 22:37
MotoGP God

during the race I was scraping the rear sets..then crashed twice! and remember they are diablos..

physique has a lot to do with it, no offence taken and I get plenty of stick for it! but I guess I want to do the best I can without crashing!

and as my new to me 848 will be my track tool, not a crashable race bike, I wanna get it right!!
Old 30-Mar-2009, 22:37
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb
oooh if were willy waving.....

I don't need to. I am faster than you. Period.