Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jan-2011, 17:09
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
Multistrada 1200

The new 1200 has been out for a while now any one had any problems or faults? I am still on 1000DS and an thinking of a change for the new one.
I test rode one last year at Moto Rapido but the sales man had no interest in selling me one. May book a test ride at Snells.
Any comments!
Old 03-Jan-2011, 19:09
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
None that haven't or won't be sorted, you've ridden one so I'm sure you know they are a mile away from the 1000DS (not that there's anything wrong with the 1000DS, had one myself for a couple of years).

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders
Old 04-Jan-2011, 11:42
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner
The new 1200 has been out for a while now any one had any problems or faults? I am still on 1000DS and an thinking of a change for the new one.
I test rode one last year at Moto Rapido but the sales man had no interest in selling me one. May book a test ride at Snells.
Any comments!

Faults-not really-fuelling is a little bit fluffy(at about 3000rpm) on some-but there is a new map coming soon, rear brake is a bit of a pig to bleed-but goes soft if you don't bleed it. My battery went flat in the very cold weather-twice-but it started fine yesterday after a charge. Some people have reported the ABS as being a bit 'keen' but I haven't had a problem with mine-switch it off for track riding but otherwise it works well-again I believe the reflash that is coming will update the ABS mapping as well. Mine was the first Uk customer bike but others have done more miles-brilliant piece of kit-best road bike I have ever owned.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 04-Jan-2011, 13:19
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
What Monty said.

For those looking to buy the touring version, Some report the stand arm being too long and rubbing on their heel. No big deal, and to be modified on the 2011 models.
Also the panniers are not overly watertight, but again is an easy fix and there are reported to be a new design (or factory fix) on the way.
The jury is out on the screen. Some cut it down and like low screens, others are going for bigger ones. I ride with it allthe way up most of the time and have no problems with it at all.

All in all it is a cracking bike, and the minor funnies don't come close to putting most off buying one.

Oh, don't beleive the 200+mile pers tank quote. You'll not see this unless you ride very gently. I usually see a refill between 150 and 170 miles, and this comes down to 130 to 150 if I ride hard. When it says it is empty it means it too (7 miles past zero and mine is bone dry).

Hope that helps,
John.
Old 09-Jun-2011, 15:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
What Monty and John said.

What great bike, brilliant road bike but utter crap off road.

Early niggles with the centre stand arm being too long sorted by hack saw and a bit of welding.

The worlds worst panniers for leaking (faster you go the bigger the gap) sorted very neatly by factory mod, not that I use them much.

Over keen ABS sorted by some computer trickery.

Low rev fuelling issues reported by some others (wasn't that bad on mine) was improved by remapping.

Fuel gauge that has a mind of it's own at times, i.e. still reads empty for 50 miles after refilling. Anyone else got this prob?

As for riding, well it's fast, comfy and handles well. Good enough to cover 1,000 miles in one hit, whilst averaging 82 mph and 40 mpg which ain't bad at that sort of average speed.

It'll only do 157 mph (144 mph genuine according to the GPS) with the top box fitted so if you want to go faster don't use the top box. This was on a private test track of course, well I think it was private as you had to pay to use it, but there seemed to be a few others around with the same idea.

Don't bother using it off road unless your a factory rider posing for pics. The 17 inch front wheel makes it horrible off road, plus you'd struggle to get a proper off road tyre in a 190 rear. If you really want to ride something of this ilk off road buy a KTM.

All credit to Ducati for putting an engine like that in a bike like this. It's a bit mental, but thats what makes it fun.

Last edited by BDG : 10-Jun-2011 at 10:23.
Old 10-Jun-2011, 09:59
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDG
What Monty and John said.

It's a bit mental, but thats what makes it fun.

Suits all 3 of us then Shaun...................a bit mental!
Off to Mugello in 2 weeks-now that will be COMPLETELY mental.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 10-Jun-2011, 10:22
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty
Suits all 3 of us then Shaun...................a bit mental!
Off to Mugello in 2 weeks-now that will be COMPLETELY mental.

John

Have a great time John.

I've just had the best of both worlds, rode the Multi down to French/Spainish border, then swop to the dirt bike for a week (which went down in a van) then back home on the Multi.
Old 16-Jun-2011, 21:47
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
Thanks BDG
I read about some of the little niggels some were having, but just could not seem to get a deal with any Ducati dealers they were offering silly money for my DS1000 in P/X In fact the salesman at Moto Rapido didn't have time to even look at it while I went on a test ride. So went for the new Kawasaki SX1000 as my main bike. (Still have one Duke in the garage).
R.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDG
Have a great time John.

I've just had the best of both worlds, rode the Multi down to French/Spainish border, then swop to the dirt bike for a week (which went down in a van) then back home on the Multi.