Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Apr-2012, 23:36
Bikes: Ducati 999

Mood: Happy - always
Belts

Hi all,

Ive heard loads of different answers to this.........

What is the definitive answer to how often I should change the belts on my 2005 999.

Thanks all.

Brian
Old 01-Apr-2012, 23:58
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
No definitive answer, just definitive opinions and disagreements. Personally every two years, but they'll be someone along in a moment to disagree.
Old 02-Apr-2012, 06:45
Big Twin

I thought the two year limit was for all Ducati's? Considering the outcome if they are not changed it's a no brainer really. Personally I change them every year which ever model I have.
Old 02-Apr-2012, 12:34

HA HA !!! - Just as I thought!

Yeah...I was going to change mine on a yearly basis, but wasn't sure what mileage they should be changed at.

I bought the bike from a dealer (not Ducati) and they are unable to tell me exactly when they were changed last.... Think I'm going to change them anyway just to be safe !

Thanks all

Brian
Old 02-Apr-2012, 12:56
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
It really depends on the circumstances!

If you have a bike doing a lot of miles, you obviously want to check and replace them more frequently than one that is stood idle.

I once bought an engine from another race team at the end of the season and we gave it a service before fitting it as we knew it hadn't been done since the middle of the season. When we opened it up we found one of the belts was split approx 3/4 of the way across from rubbing on a piece of gravel that hadn't been removed from a trip to the kitty litter a few races previously! Had that gone out on the track a few more times, who knows what would have happened!

Similarly, my Hypermotard did nearly 12,000 miles last year and the belts I took off for it's 2-year service were in really good condition and could have easily gone back on. I've just replaced the belts on my 748 which did zero miles last year, and even these were in really good shape and not deformed at all, so could have been used again too.

Personally, past experience tells me to check the belts every year for both tension and damage when I'm doing the oil change and to replace them every two years regardless.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 04-Apr-2012, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
It really depends on the circumstances!

If you have a bike doing a lot of miles, you obviously want to check and replace them more frequently than one that is stood idle.

I once bought an engine from another race team at the end of the season and we gave it a service before fitting it as we knew it hadn't been done since the middle of the season. When we opened it up we found one of the belts was split approx 3/4 of the way across from rubbing on a piece of gravel that hadn't been removed from a trip to the kitty litter a few races previously! Had that gone out on the track a few more times, who knows what would have happened!

Similarly, my Hypermotard did nearly 12,000 miles last year and the belts I took off for it's 2-year service were in really good condition and could have easily gone back on. I've just replaced the belts on my 748 which did zero miles last year, and even these were in really good shape and not deformed at all, so could have been used again too.

Personally, past experience tells me to check the belts every year for both tension and damage when I'm doing the oil change and to replace them every two years regardless.

Same for me check each year and replace every 2 years regardless of miles,to me its better safe than sorry.
Old 04-Apr-2012, 22:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
2 years or 12k miles whichever comes first. Some will argue the toss, some may have got 3 years or more, but I've seen and repaired many that didn't make it.
It always leads to a heated debate, but even with the current price of 999 belts, it's cheap insurance against wiping a head/piston out...if your lucky.
To coin a phrase I head many moons ago......most belts look ok, right up to the point where they snap
Old 05-Apr-2012, 14:48

Thanks all, very helpfull

Regards,

Brian