Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 27-May-2009, 11:12
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
GS Rival in 2010 ?

Hi all,

speaking to a guy over the weekend, he said his source told him there isnt to be a new ST replacement, but there is a 1198 engined GS alternative on the way instead.

Does anyone have more details on this ?
Like when its due, will it have hard luggage, and what sort of price ?
Any of you guys with links to dealers been given a preview ?
And is anyone taking deposits for the bike yet ?

I'm going to replace the ST early next year, so would be good to know if it really is in the pipeline because if its not going to happen I will likely jump ship.

Cheers,
John.
p.s. really odd this, I originally made the title 'Ducati to make a BMW GS rival in 2010' and it would not allow me to make the post !
Either I can't say BMW or I can't say Ducati, very odd...
Old 27-May-2009, 12:43
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
you title was too long....

if they make one, and it is a genuine competitor not just a look a like, I reckon it would be a great seller. Having owned a GS, IMHO it is THE BEST all round bike there is, bar none. I would have another, if I could afford it along with my Ducati, and this could be a good way for peolpe like me to compromise.
Old 27-May-2009, 13:03
Big Twin

I think Monty has already ordered one based on some info he got from John Hackett
Old 27-May-2009, 13:12
500SD

Bradders, I agree.
Although having spoken with a number of current and former BMW owners the quality of them seems to be a long way down from where it used to be.
The number of things they are having repaired under warranty has put me off owning one (K1300GT looks like a good buy, albeit a bit pricey when fully loaded, but has some fundamental issues like clutch and electric problems).

Many of the owners in our club (WVAM) have had far more problems than I've had with any of my Ducatis...

I'm hoping whatever it is that arrives has enough grunt for 2 up sports touring, and a decent tank range. I found the multistrada underpowered for what I want, and not comfy enough for my wife.

About the title, thanks for letting me know. All I got was a blank white page, no error or anything. I also couldn't see anything about max length. Maybe this is a tweak the admin guys can sort out.

Gordon, hopefully Monty can let me have some details then

Cheers,
John.
Old 27-May-2009, 13:47
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John W
Bradders, I agree.
Although having spoken with a number of current and former BMW owners the quality of them seems to be a long way down from where it used to be.
The number of things they are having repaired under warranty has put me off owning one (K1300GT looks like a good buy, albeit a bit pricey when fully loaded, but has some fundamental issues like clutch and electric problems).

Many of the owners in our club (WVAM) have had far more problems than I've had with any of my Ducatis...

I'm hoping whatever it is that arrives has enough grunt for 2 up sports touring, and a decent tank range. I found the multistrada underpowered for what I want, and not comfy enough for my wife.

About the title, thanks for letting me know. All I got was a blank white page, no error or anything. I also couldn't see anything about max length. Maybe this is a tweak the admin guys can sort out.

Gordon, hopefully Monty can let me have some details then

Cheers,
John.

Hi John, yes there will be a new Multistrada type thingy, I have been told that it will be a 1098-but equally it could be 1198. It will have a full electronics package, traction control, and possibly ABS. Definately hard luggage, and will do exactly what you want-which is the same as me I expect, which is go a long way fast 2 up with luggage and then be fun in the mountains when you get there. According to John Hackett + several others who I have chatted to who have seen it (including people from DUK) it is a fantastic looking bike. I ordered mine immediately after the dealer meeting before the Milan show last year. Ducati intend this bike to be a replacement for both the Multistrada and the ST series-mine will replace my ST4S.
By the way the bike in the pictures is not massive-the rider is about 5ft 2in..................

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Multi 1.jpg (37.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg New Multi 2.jpg (45.8 KB, 27 views)

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 27-May-2009, 14:23
500SD

Cheers John.

Yes, it will be mainly used for two up with luggage, and fast. We tend to do 4 to 7 day trips, rarely use motorways, and the only scenery I usually see is the grass strip either side of the road and the beer gardens in the evenings
It will be a replacement for my ST4S ABS too, if I can bring myself to sell it

I like the idea of a big trailie, tried the 990 adventure, nice bike but poor brakes when two up. We also had the panniers on the deck (plastic box type)without trying particularly hard
We have tried the GS too, and like its design but I don't like the engine.

I hope this bike arrives early next year, and at a half decent price (similar to GS is acceptible but top of our budget).

I have a call in with a couple of dealers, just awaiting their return calls now

[update]
have spoken to one of the chaps, who has informed me of the following:
sales manager has seen the bike so it does exist,
expected to be released tail end of this year, so first deliveries this side of christmas,
S model most likely to be released first as with other models recently,
1098 detuned engine (more grunt at lower revs), so unlikely to see 160bhp,
designed for use with luggage,
good tank range too.

All in all it sounds great, I can't wait

Other snippet of info was the level of bike sales at present are still very high, mainly due to lots of mainland europeans popping over here to buy bikes. This is meaning second hand prices are quite good too, which is handy

Last edited by John W : 27-May-2009 at 14:58.
Old 27-May-2009, 17:42
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Quote:
Cheers John.

Yes, it will be mainly used for two up with luggage, and fast. We tend to do 4 to 7 day trips, rarely use motorways, and the only scenery I usually see is the grass strip either side of the road and the beer gardens in the evenings.

Our trips tend to be 10 days-2 weeks, and we tend to do about 3500 miles on them so no hanging about-oh, and no motorways for us either-sounds like we could be good riding partners. Home/ferry/grass strip/beergarden/mountains/beergarden/grass strip/ferry/home...........................

John

Old 27-May-2009, 18:43
500SD

Sounds perfect to me John

We've done lots of 10 day trips (friday to following Sunday). We usually squeeze 2k5 miles into 7 days, 3k into 10 days
Anything more than that and I'm in trouble, as for some reason I can't make a tyre last longer than about 2k5 miles
Record so far is new Avon tyre to steel belt in 1600 miles

Also, 300 miles of mountain passes in one day is enough for any rider, let alone the pilliions
The pillions often have a couple of days off in the longer trips (to recover !), which is handy

Done 3 trips so far this year, and another 4 planned between now and September

Next time your doing a trip let me know, it may be we're heading to the same places at the same time, or could make it so
Our calendar looks like:
June: 4 days near Sedan, playing in and around Spa & the ring
July: 3 days north wales, no idea where yet
August: 4 days cumbria, same story
September: 8 days in the Alps
Those are the approved trips, there may be a few others too if I can manage it

Back to the bike for a moment, anyone tried the KTM SMT ??
Looks okay, but wondering if it has enough go in it, and whether the brakes are any better than the 990 Adventure...
Old 28-May-2009, 00:16
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Sounds perfect to me John

We've done lots of 10 day trips (friday to following Sunday). We usually squeeze 2k5 miles into 7 days, 3k into 10 days
Anything more than that and I'm in trouble, as for some reason I can't make a tyre last longer than about 2k5 miles
Record so far is new Avon tyre to steel belt in 1600 miles

Also, 300 miles of mountain passes in one day is enough for any rider, let alone the pilliions
The pillions often have a couple of days off in the longer trips (to recover !), which is handy

Done 3 trips so far this year, and another 4 planned between now and September

Next time your doing a trip let me know, it may be we're heading to the same places at the same time, or could make it so
Our calendar looks like:
June: 4 days near Sedan, playing in and around Spa & the ring
July: 3 days north wales, no idea where yet
August: 4 days cumbria, same story
September: 8 days in the Alps
Those are the approved trips, there may be a few others too if I can manage it

Back to the bike for a moment, anyone tried the KTM SMT ??
Looks okay, but wondering if it has enough go in it, and whether the brakes are any better than the 990 Adventure...

Any trips will have to wait for next year for me John-I had surgery on my left wrist 5 weeks ago complete with a tendon transplant so it will be a while before I can ride a big bike again. I hope to ride the 450RT on my avatar in September....................

John

Old 28-May-2009, 11:47
500SD

Ah yes, I recall reading that now. I hope your better for when the new bike arrives !
All the best.

p.s. I hope your right handed