Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 16-Jul-2009, 11:20
Mille

Brake/Clutch bleeding!!!!!

Could someone shed some light for me???

In days gone by I do the usual (old jam jar/bit of clear hose) and was always able to bleed system through without too much hassle, although I always think I could get them alot better!!
So I decided to buy the Motrax pneumatic pump which looks the business!! however I'm hitting a brick wall with it

There's instructions as to how to use, and one of the comments was look at Diagram 1 (no diagram anywhere?)

Anyway I plugged it on and released the bleed nipple, on squeezing the handle alot of air bubbles come through (great!!) but this goes on way too long and I've topped it up several times with air still coming through?? I believe that the air may be coming through the bleed nipples screw threads as it's alot stronger on pulling the fluid through. Do you reckon I need some grease around the threads to stop air coming through??

I thought this pump would aid me but im struggling at the moment
If anyone could point me in the right direction with this I'd be grateful.

cheers
Steve
Old 16-Jul-2009, 14:12
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Are you having a problem with bleeding the clutch line?
If so, I recommend a bleed banjo bolt (with a nipple) at the lever end. It made bleeding my clutch so much easier compared to before I fitted the bleed banjo.

Later 748/9** have a bleed nipple on the brake master cylinder too.

With these nipples it's no problem to use the jam jar and hose method!

R
Old 16-Jul-2009, 14:39
Mille
Bikes: Multistraddle S, Cucciolo

Mood: Blown away!
I've had the same problem Steve and have gone back to the old method. Nothing better imo.
Old 16-Jul-2009, 15:38
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Bleed Fitting at the MC

Old 16-Jul-2009, 15:58
Mille

Ah sorry guys, but I'm bleeding the M900 Monster!! so no bleed attachment at that end.....Was hopeing for some info on using the motrax pump as it cost a few quid and would like to master it. Anyone used one before?

Steve
Old 16-Jul-2009, 23:51
888 at Last !!!

Mood: IF IN DOUBT..GET BLAGGING.
If its the same or similair to the Mityvac,yes,grease or ptfe tape on the bleed nipples for definite,as thats where the air is getting in.Also make sure your fluid level in the reservoir is kept topped up as you pump.I was creating too much of a vacuum the first time i used the Mityvac and the second i cracked the bleed nipple it was pulling the brake fluid from the resevoir fast as feck and i didnt keep it topped up.Still got the odd few bubbles coming through but just cable tie your brake lever back overnight and Roberts your mothers brother.
Old 17-Jul-2009, 13:41
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Don't talk to me about bleeding brakes. They're not called bleedin' brakes for nothing...

I've got an MOT this afternoon, bike is all done and dusted, except for the back brake which I had just replaced a hose on and needs bleeding through.

It shouldn't be hard should it? Tube and a jamjar, crack the nipple as you press down on the brake pedal, hold the brake pedal down while you tighten the nipple, release the pedal...repeat and repeat until the brake comes in, done it loads of times.

Except for this time....been at it 4 hours now. Tried it with the brake caliper mounted, tried it with the brake caliper off the bike and higher than the master, tried it with one of thos Motrax 'little bleeder' one way valves, with ptfe tape and grease to stop air leaking back in past the threads.

In desperation, I've even tried taking the caliper off the bike, holding it sideways, taking the bleed nipple out altogether, filling the bleed nipple bolt hole with fluid, slowly squeezing the lever so that air bubbles through the fluid, then releasing the lever to suck back all the fluid into the caliper...that way, air comes out and when it sucks back, it gets a teensy bit more fluid in the caliper...I've done that until only fluid comes out and the caliper seems completely full, then put the bleed nipple back and done it all over again conventionally.

Nothing's working at the moment, pedal is still completely soft. The MOT is at 3:45 and I've had to stop work, cos I can only work outside and there's a bleeding great thunderstorm overhead....

Looks like it aint gonna happen and it's buggered my weekend plans...the sod of it is, I never use the back brake except for hill starts and getting through the MOT

Rant over

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 27-Sep-2009, 03:48
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Just pulled the ST out of my Rabbit Hutch garage, fired her up and found I had no clutch. Bicycled to the local auto store and bought a liter of brake fluid (only Dot 4 they had!). Pulled out my clear tubing and jam jar and proceeded to work on the bugger. No fluid in the reservoir, but no leaks that I can find or notice. Pretty straight forward process, but I did use a rubber mallet to hit the servo a few times while doing it in order to knock a bunch of air bubbles loose.
So far so good, but sure am glad this was the clutch instead of brakes.