Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jun-2005, 11:51
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Not thinking of changing chain, just sprockets.... for now at least, need to get my excuses in for Brands ala Dibbs!
Old 24-Jun-2005, 12:14
888 at Last !!!

You still have the stock sprockets?
Old 24-Jun-2005, 12:19
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Andyb, I don't really understand that matchstick analogy - it doesn't seem to really make sense.

I think I'll stick to the advice from Sigma, Cornerspeed and Shazaam and run a 525 on my 996. Especially seeing as my gearing is 14/39 and not the 15/36 standard gearing, I weigh 94kg's and the front wheel seems to come up regularly. For the sake of a few grams, and none of us are Rossi here, I'd rather have the piece of mind that I've got a nice strong chain on the bike.
Old 24-Jun-2005, 12:30
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by Ducnow

I did yes, having not ridden a bike for 6 months before I got the R and then all the drama's I'd had along the way, one of the first things that hit me was just how quick it was with standard gearing, but that was down to my winter lay off

So now I'm used to the grunt it's time to start tinkering
Old 24-Jun-2005, 12:47
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ducnow

I did yes, having not ridden a bike for 6 months before I got the R and then all the drama's I'd had along the way, one of the first things that hit me was just how quick it was with standard gearing, but that was down to my winter lay off

So now I'm used to the grunt it's time to start tinkering

The bikes feels much better.
I went for a 14 T front sprocket, but i think i'll add 2 more tooth on the back
Old 24-Jun-2005, 12:48
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I'd go with B&C Express for you sprockets - I've ordered loads off them for the racebike and have always been impressed with their service.
Old 24-Jun-2005, 13:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Andyb, I don't really understand that matchstick analogy - it doesn't seem to really make sense.

I think I'll stick to the advice from Sigma, Cornerspeed and Shazaam and run a 525 on my 996. Especially seeing as my gearing is 14/39 and not the 15/36 standard gearing, I weigh 94kg's and the front wheel seems to come up regularly. For the sake of a few grams, and none of us are Rossi here, I'd rather have the piece of mind that I've got a nice strong chain on the bike.

me too.
dont fancy a crank like age996's.
Old 24-Jun-2005, 19:06
Mille

Mood: 1098s...oh yes
I have a 14 t on the my 999, but I,ve noticed recently when I wheel the bike around it the chain sounds like aload of marbles, and I keep it oiled.

Have I over loaded it???
Old 24-Jun-2005, 19:24
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by TP

As you appear to be lining up a batting list, i would still open with John Hackett.

I cant understand why you would go with that 14/39 gearing??? How low is that? You use your 996 on the road?? and as you say, none of us are Rossi here!

If you are doing 10000 miles a year then of course you go with a larger longer lasting 525. If like me you dont do a lot of road miles on it then 520..............

Its worth a phone call to jhp just to listen to his analogy. Its about the width of the full match stick versus half the match stick, in relation to the width of a 525 link pin, being wider than a 520 pin.
Old 24-Jun-2005, 19:27
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Oh and...........while your fitting a new sprocket, and a new chain, fit a longer one by a couple of links...........to lengthen the wheel base! Oh, TP if your struggling with this one while your on the phone to john, ask him about that aswell