Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Apr-2012, 21:28
Bikes: honda nx650, ducati 999s

999s clutch whine

has anyone experiences a slight clutch whine when setting off that goes once you reach approx 5 mph.

also ive noticed the orange engine warning light stays on when bike starts then goes off pretty much straight away. is this a normal tyical ducati thing
Old 01-May-2012, 09:36
Bikes: Ducati 999s, Kawasaki ZX7r, Kawasaki KX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalliss
has anyone experiences a slight clutch whine when setting off that goes once you reach approx 5 mph.

also ive noticed the orange engine warning light stays on when bike starts then goes off pretty much straight away. is this a normal tyical ducati thing

With my limited experience, no whine and er no orange lights staying on.

More tech' able guys on this site than me.
Old 01-May-2012, 11:35
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Is this a new acquisition?

If it is, check to see if an earthing wire has been run from the middle wire of the diagnostic lead to the frame or -ve battery terminal.

The ECU's can have an earthing fault and a simple fix is to run the earthing connector (3 way superseal by the battery box). When the bike is started the EOBD light will illuminate and then go out when the bike fires into life.

Usual cause of the fault is reverse polarity of the PC to Bike diagnostic lead.

Doesn't effect the running of the bike, I ran one like this for 12 months. And yes, I reversed the polarity of the leads !!
Old 01-May-2012, 11:44
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The clutch whine could be a couple of things. In order of easiest to sort, the first is dust build up on the plates, especially if it's a closed cover. Easy to do just messy. Take the plates out and give them a clean with brake cleaner and blow the clutch housing out. Don't breath the dust in.
Second is there is a convex steel plate in there that softens the take up. They flatten out over time. It's usually brighter than the rest of the steels and is 1.5mm thick.
Lastly, the clutch pack could be worn and need replacement.

The orange light...could be several things but it will be recorded in ECU memory. A diagnostic read will reveal what it is.
My guess would be dirty contacts on the ignition relay. It's tooked away behind the lower part of the battery housing and is a common problem raiser.
Old 01-May-2012, 13:47

thanks for all replies its got an open clutch but started prior to that when it was a dry clutch. i did get told the old they are do that off somebody else whod owned a ducati. is that correct? going to get the belts changed shortly anyway as although bike has done 3000 miles belts changed 3 years ago so will get the clutch looked at and the ecu light. bike runs fine so always just ignored it. could it be at the battery end as i did fit a accumen lead just after i bought it.
Old 04-May-2012, 07:38

anyone??
Old 04-May-2012, 09:37
Ducati Corse

Clutch whine can happen whether the cover is open or with the original closed cover. Dust build up is heavier if it's closed, but the causes and solutions are the same.
I'd defo get the belts swapped before the season kicks off and you start using her.
Old 04-May-2012, 22:40
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Having some tinnies and a barbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalliss
i did get told the old they are do that off somebody else whod owned a ducati. is that correct?

Eh?
Old 04-May-2012, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by final_edition
Eh?

oops sorry was updated off my phone i think,

it was meant to be i got told they all do that.

how do you clean the clutch out. is it just a case of cover and plate off and clean with brake cleaner
Old 05-May-2012, 09:24
Ducati Corse

Yep. Pretty much, an air line is handy to but brake cleaner will do it with agitation from an old brush of sorts.