Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Feb-2005, 11:10
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
From an external look, I reckon the callipers and master cylinders are the same on all 749/999s, except the radial callipers on the R models. I wonder if it's a bad batch of master cylinders that have caused a problem, as it's a bit funny that sprtacus has a bike almost exactly the same age as mine...
Old 21-Feb-2005, 11:11
500SD

My 2p worth.

Firstly, greasing the pad retaining pin will have absolutely zero effect. The retaining pin on the calipers as used on all 749 & 999 does not directly affect the pads, the pin only keeps the sprung pad retainer in place.

Secondly, I know someone that this front brake locking has happened to. Unfortunately he wasn't so lucky, happened on track, front locked solid and spat him off at 80 + mph! The cause was something to do with a tiny little grub screw on the lever. It had either come out or worked loose and backed out/in, whatever, the result was as above. I think you have to remove the lever to find it.

Don't have a 749/999 master in front of me so can't give any more details I'm afraid and it doesn't seem to be listed as a seperate part in the Duc parts book.

So, guys, check your levers!

Neil.
Old 21-Feb-2005, 11:12
Big Twin

Very, very interesting...

Neil - did your mate try claiming from Ducati for the fault?? How long ago was this??

[Edited on 21-2-2005 by Twinfan]
Old 21-Feb-2005, 11:16
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
just a thought t/fan, I would of wanted to be at where ever you took the bike, with my digital camera, when the bike was taken apart!

Not that im mistrusting of course................. Loads of piccies and chew the fat from that!
Old 21-Feb-2005, 11:19
Big Twin

Ducati Manchester have done the strip/photos thing. They did that on Saturday for Ducati UK. I'll have to see what they say this week when my insurers contact them.
Old 21-Feb-2005, 11:22
500SD

A bit more info.

From memory, it happened April/May-ish of last year, bike was 2003 999 or 999S, can't remember which, sorry. Think the levers are all the same though?

Unable to claim from Ducati as the bike was bought as written off ex demo purely for track use with agreed zero warranty. I'm pretty sure he made Ducati UK aware of the issue though. Luckily (and surprisingly!) the damage to the bike wasn't too severe, he broke a couple of bones though.

Hope that's of some help, Neil.
Old 21-Feb-2005, 11:30
Big Twin

Cheers mate. Sounds like it's a 999 AND 749 issue then
Old 21-Feb-2005, 13:19
Bevel Head

Think i'd best let my friend know, since he has a MY2004 749bp think he got his a month or so later than me though.
Old 21-Feb-2005, 15:37

Rather than comparing date of first registration, given the number of '04 9s sitting in dealers for a few months, would it be a good idea to compare frame numbers. I would guess the frame number will be allocated at the point of build and therefore if it is a dodgy batch of master cylinders they should be fitted around the same time.

From the frame numbers, if they are within say 200 frames of each other, then they were probably built at roughly the same time.

Sorry to hear of the problems...sounds like an issue that needs quantified as soon as possible !
Old 21-Feb-2005, 16:15
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Gareth
Rather than comparing date of first registration, given the number of '04 9s sitting in dealers for a few months, would it be a good idea to compare frame numbers. I would guess the frame number will be allocated at the point of build and therefore if it is a dodgy batch of master cylinders they should be fitted around the same time.

From the frame numbers, if they are within say 200 frames of each other, then they were probably built at roughly the same time.

Sorry to hear of the problems...sounds like an issue that needs quantified as soon as possible !
Thought someone would have posted frame numbers earlier but to start the ball rolling:
My frame number ends in ...4745, it's an 03 999, so far no problem with brakes