Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Aug-2017, 11:40
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

ST4s Update...

A testing time for the swamp donkey express of late...

Bike Starting finally got progressively worse and worse and then, just when I had sourced a separate choke solution and was getting ready go to out for a ride...

Hitting the starter, just resulted in a whirring starter motor...

The shame is that in looking for issues I had:
Fitted a MUCH bigger battery
Uprated the spark plug cables
Changed the starter motor stator plate and brushes (in situ)
and even uprated the battery cables, thanks to Phil Matthews.

Sadly, it was the starter sprag clutch that was lunching itself!

When I took it all to pieces the spring was completely destroyed, resulting in the surfaces being damaged too.

I wont detail any more here but it did take some time to sort as I couldnt resist making good a few weak points as I went along.

Having it all back together I did get BADLY tested to discover, I needed new front pads and then my JHP clutch slave seal gave up the ghost too.

Finaly insult was that the MOT also ran out the day after I finally finished all work on the bike.

Thankfully, my successful time at the MOT station resulted in a nice run out to a local history spot for a photo shot.

Back in love again

Old 07-Aug-2017, 11:19
Mille
Bikes: Sts4s in red, of course!

Mood: Ah....Switzerland!
Nice.
You don't see many grey bikes about.
The stealth colour suits the nature of the bike in my opinion.
I just bought a one owner, 06 model in the Senna colour scheme and it looks great.
My red, 01 dry clutch model also looks good though..
)
Old 07-Aug-2017, 22:17
WSB Hero

Thanks Gary,

The colour has grown on me but I prefer the colour of your Senna and the lighter grey model.

I've easily spent more than the purchase price on upgrades and recently a full suspension rebuild and the work detailed above leading into the sprag failure.

Full set of RED side luggage available on the ST Facebook group if its of use to you...
Old 15-Aug-2017, 00:10
Mille
Bikes: Sts4s in red, of course!

Mood: Ah....Switzerland!
Hi Frank,
I've got panniers for both bikes thanks.

I was planning to get an SS as a second, low tech, easy maintenance bike and just use the st for touring, but then the Senna came along and my plan changed...
I'm now going to keep the old st for fun, as ive had it for 10 years, ridden it to wdw 3 times and it really owes me nothing.

I plan to work on the Senna over the winter and use that for touring instead.

One thing has already become apparent though; the build quality of the old bike is far superior. Fairing and engine paint so far.

Apart from the normal service items, I'm after a dark grey Baglux tank cover (mine has a light grey one, which looks odd) a k&n filter and open exhausts.

I'd also like to explore the fitment of an ohlins fork with associated calipers at some point.

I'd be interested to know how many of the grey varieties were sent to the UK.

Any ideas?

G.
Old 15-Aug-2017, 14:45
WSB Hero

Hi Gary,

disappointing that the later quality is poorer. Ive always fancied an ABS model but I guess that will have to wait.

My Baglux cover came 2nd hand of eBay, never seen another like it. Can be a pain if you only need to lift the tank but I like it.

Pretty sure the filter is the same dimensions on the early ST's as on the SS. Well, my K+N fitted fine from my SS. I have a spare square K+N if you want to save a few quid

Ohlins forks have been done and look lovely (pic) but no need really, I got mine rebuilt with Gold Valves and they are nearly as good, 4-pad calipers are a nice easy upgrade however, yes, I have a spare set too