Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Nov-2005, 13:14

I also have a Garmin Quest that I put into a map pocket on the tank. Bit of a strain to look at it regularly...therefore m1keyp I would be really interested in seeing how the mounting bracket looks. Did you just order it from that web site?

Gareth
Old 30-Nov-2005, 15:32
500SD

If you are after the mounts try this site

http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/handlebar-mounts.htm

Simply remove the U bolt and use a longer allen screw straight through the steering damper eye bolt

You will also need the relavent (fused) power cord.

[Edited on 30-11-2005 by m1keyp]
Old 01-Dec-2005, 10:58

Mood: No! No! No! erm OK then
Too carry the levels why not buy a hockey stick bag?
Old 03-Dec-2005, 15:23
Bevel Head

Dear All

Thanks for all your comments.

I've been given a Stabila 4ft level case with a shoulder strap by my tool supplier (BD Tools Enfield) which goes across my back with my rucksack holding it in place. Tested it up to 120m.p.h. on a disused airfield or something similar (!).

As far as the Tom Tom goes I've put it in the map window of a tank bag for now, using the earpiece. I may try to mount it on the end of the steering damper rod, the last inch of which is unused by the travel of the damper.

Regards

Mark.
Old 17-Mar-2006, 16:52
Mille

Tom Tom

How have you found the Tom Tom in use? I am thinking about getting a GPS and fancied the Tom Tom but it doesn't do as well as I expected in the test in this month's Ride magazine - they say that it doesn't give as much notice of turns as the Garmin units and the audio instructions aren't loud enough. Have you found either of these points to be a problem?
Old 18-Mar-2006, 00:54
500SD

I've had a TomTom Rider for a couple of months. I'd agree that the voice announcements are a little 'late' - it starts to say "In 400yds turn right" when, at bike speeds, it's already 300yds and closing fast. That being said, it's a fantastic bit of kit - so much better than the last GPS thing I had. Even when you basically know where you're going it's still useful to remind you where the road goes beyond the next corner you can see - does it tighten or open - is there a hidden junction - as an addition to normal observation, natch.

I don't think you could satisfactorily get to your destination with the unit in your rucksack and going just on voice guidance. You need to see the screen.

As for mounting - I've got it mounted on the Multistrada just perfect - above the instruments behind the (stock) screen. I've offered it up on the 999 but haven't found a good place for it. Maybe saddled over the instrument panel... maybe on top of the yoke... maybe get a double bubble and butcher it... non exactly ideal. To be decided...
Old 18-Mar-2006, 07:07
Mille

this worked for a garmin, didn't take too long and is fairly simple to do. should work with other models as well.

1. bit of stainless about 13-14cm long, 4cm wide, 2-3mm thick. mount satnav bracket on this in the middle.

2. tear the rubber from a mouse mat, cut so it fits and glue it on. i did this twice as a mouse mat isn't that thick.

3. drill a hole at each end so a bolt can go through the gaps in the yokes.

4. 2 more bits of stainless, each 6cm long, 2.5cm wide, 2-3mm thick.

5. glue one layer of mousemat on each (no clearance otherwise).

6. hold the big bit on top of the yokes and a small bit underneath. get your bolt, dip it in paint or somthing and drop it through the hole so it marks the small bit on the rubber. drill your hole here, same for the other side.

7. bolt it together, i used 6mm bolts/holes.

it's quite sturdy and the only thing touching the bike is rubber. easy to whip off as well.

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/5679/garmin0bs.jpg