Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Mar-2006, 12:06

MOT time

Need to get my bike MOTed before I bring it over to Norway. The actual MOT doesn't run out until August but the bike will not come back to the UK until October, hence why I need to do it now.

My question is, how long does it take and how easy is it to take the Termigonis off and replace with the standard cans. Also will the bike run okay, and pass the MOT, with the standard cans aftermarket chip?
The bike in question is a 2002 748s.

I take it there is no way of getting round this, is there?

Thanks in advance.
Craig
Old 30-Mar-2006, 12:34
GTL

I decided to play safe and put the standard cans back. Getting the springs on and off did not cause much of a problem, but I did find it a bit of a git getting the brackets back on (the supplied bolt was a little to short to comfortably compress the brackets and locate the end of the bolt into the captive nut single handed). I would say with two people (one to hold the brackets tight around the can, the other to locate the retaining bolt) it would be fairly straight forward.

Seems like a 50/50 chance whether an MOT station is going to fail you on Termis....the one I went to was fairly adament they needed road legal cans, but other recent posts indicate there are plenty of places that will let them through. Probably worth a ring round to see if you can find an obliging MOT station.

Advice I was given was bike will run OK with standard cans and "race" chip, but not to run it for too long or too hard.
Old 30-Mar-2006, 13:00

Thanks for the info.

The cans will only be on for the MOT, which is only 5 mins up the road, then back to the proper system.

However, if anyone knows a suitbale MOT station round Glasgow way that don't mind Termi's please let me know.

Craig
Old 30-Mar-2006, 13:57
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
mine is in today and will have race cans on.

Old 30-Mar-2006, 14:00
Mille

Had mine done this week. I had to change my 50mm back to standard as the "Not for road use" was at the outlet end, on some older termis the stamp is at the other end, and some testing stations will overlook that.

Took me about 1hr to get the 50mm system off, then about another 1hr to 1.5hr to line up the link pipe and cans from the original set. (the springs were a right git!!).

The MoT only took twenty minutes, bike also ran fine with upgraded chip and original cans, then again was only 2 miles down the road.

Good luck..
Old 30-Mar-2006, 14:18
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
Are you allowed to MOT a vehicle that far ahead of when it's due?? I was told not. Worth a double check.
Old 30-Mar-2006, 14:26
500SD

You can MOT it any time but the MOT is only valid for 12 months.

If you are MOTing your vehicle in the month prior to expiration then the MOT is dated 12 months from expiration.
Old 30-Mar-2006, 14:33
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
I am gonna keep my Termi's on for the mot check the link

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/motorcyc...entstested.htm

[Edited on 30-3-2006 by Totto]
Old 31-Mar-2006, 09:56

"Exhaust System
Complete, secure, correct type and not too noisy."

Hmmmmm......... unless the MOT tester is somewhat hard of hearing I think I'll take them off. Thanks for the link anyway.
Old 31-Mar-2006, 10:11
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Mine went through ok with 50mm Termi's on.. just depends on how good the mot tester's hearing is...

Go for somewhere that's recommended if you can...