Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Aug-2006, 17:37

Mood: Perpetual excitement
Purchase decision - help needed! (New user)

Hi folks,

I realise this question is similar to the one posed in the 'would a monster do the job' thread, but wanted to ask a few more specific questions.

I am sitting my test in 2 weeks time and really, really want to buy a M620. I'm going to be using it to commute to work (25 miles or so along the M4 into London), so I'll be riding all year round.

So:

1. Is it wise to subject a 620 to a lot of crappy weather?
2. What precautions are wise to take to reduce impact of weather on bike? eg. extra protection, add ons, etc.
3. Where can I find out about all the regular cleaning I should do to keep it in good nick? I know next to nothing about bikes, so need an idiot's guide.
4. Should I even be considering the 620 as a first bike? Other bikes I have considered are BMW F650 (bit ugly, sounds a bit buzzy), the Multistrada (not keen on appearance) and Suzuki Bandit 600 (sensible I guess, but dull).

Any help / advice really appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 09-Aug-2006, 18:19
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezza
Hi folks,

I know next to nothing about bikes, so need an idiot's guide.

Cheers.

You've come to the right place then!

I can't find my guide , but I'm sure there'll be another idiot along in a moment.

By the way, welcome, and as is the custom here I,ll have a southern comfort while you're at the virtual bar thanks.

Last edited by philthy : 09-Aug-2006 at 18:22.
Old 09-Aug-2006, 18:44
Mille

Mood: Happy as Larry.
Thumbs up

Hey up next idiot here, welcome mines a Waggle Dance,pint of, just my opinion but, get the baby Multi good riding position, great fun bike to ride and ideal commuter.

Cheers Wogger
Old 10-Aug-2006, 11:20
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
Welcome to the nuthouse! Large glass of red please, and agree with wogger - get the multi.
Old 10-Aug-2006, 11:23
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Welcome, unbiased opinion, get a Multistroodle, you can't see what they look like when you're on em, just avoid shop windows

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders
Old 10-Aug-2006, 11:39
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezza

1. Is it wise to subject a 620 to a lot of crappy weather?

Cheers.

I don't think the 620 will be any worse than any other bike in terms of how it handles **** weather / salt etc

I rode my old SS through last winter and the finish has not suffered at all as far as I can tell. I hosed the bike down with cold water after every ride to get the salt off. I would do this with any bike. Its a pain when all you want to do is get into the warm but you have to be disciplined if you want your bike to stay nice.
Old 10-Aug-2006, 12:20

Mood: Perpetual excitement

That's you lot sorted...

Thanks for the advice - I guess I'll go take another look at the MS. Of course, need to pass my test first... theory in a week, DAS a few days later. Bring it on.
Old 10-Aug-2006, 13:19
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
Old 10-Aug-2006, 13:38
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Hopefully RedRuth will reply to this thread as she specifically went out and got herself a Monster 620 at the end of last year for riding in the winter. By all accounts its coped with it very well, she also takes it on tours of various parts of the country, like the Lake District. http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=34205

Links to pics of Ruthies 620 all loaded up

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 10-Aug-2006, 13:40
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
As much as I love Ducatis (I have 4) I can't help thinking that you would be better off with a Honda CB500. The CB5 is eminently suited to this sort of use.

I am not saying the M620 won't handle it but, would you really want to subject a lovely new 620 to this sort of treatment? The 620 will be reliable providing it is looked after but, IME no Ducati tolerates abuse well and the chances are (no offence intended) given that you are a complete biking novice, the bike will suffer. A 5 year old £1500 CB5 would be better for you to cut your tetth on, it won't be worth much so you will not lose much through depreciation brought on by the ravages of miles, weather and falling off.

Once you've got some experience under your belt - buy a Monster, keep it for fun & good weather days...still keep using the CB5 for hacking on.