Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Dec-2005, 00:12
Big Twin

Timing sensor wiring help needed...

I've just about managed to figure out all of the wiring on my SP apart from the two wires that I assume are for the timing.

I don't know if the SP is different to other models and has 2 as opposed to 1 or what, but does it matter which one is connected to which...I'm guessing it does

So, I have two plugs coming down from the wiring loom (middle right of attached piccie, and one has an M marked on it), and two coming up from the engine case, one lead a lot longer than the other (black plugs bottom left). Which wire goes to which???

Ignore the crappy coil wire hanging down in the middle that has now been replaced...

Ta
Old 06-Dec-2005, 00:28
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
Harv, I'll have a look at mine tomorrow mate
Old 06-Dec-2005, 00:58
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Harv its different to Bip models that use a 1.6M ECU they only have the one sensor, your SP has two sensors one picks up off the flywheel (RPM sensor P8 only) the other of the cam drive gearing (injection timing on P8 equiped models) and (Engine sensor on the 1.6M equipped models)
As for markings I haven't got my engine here at the moment so can't tell you how mine is marked up. But I doubt if connecting them the wrong way will cause any problems other than the bike isn't going to start.
Old 06-Dec-2005, 01:07
MotoGP God

Right Harv
the engine RPM one is refered to as MOT in the wiring so could be the one marked M and its wires in the main harness are coloured G/Bk and Y/B,
The other sensor refered to as CAM has wires coloured Gr and Gr/W
Old 06-Dec-2005, 01:31
Big Twin

OK...will take another look tomorrow, I've just been going through the service manual I have here...and it don't really help!

I've got a better idea now at least...the RPM is taken from the flywheel right?...so its the sensor on top of the engine case (say 1 o'clock), as opposed to the one a bit further around and to the left as you look at it (say 9 o'clock), which is for the timing wheel?

I'll have a sneaky look at the wiring colours, and if it ties up I'll go for it that way!
Old 06-Dec-2005, 01:40
MotoGP God

Yep Flywheel/rpm sensor is neaer to the front sprocket where as the injection timing sensor is next to the water pump