Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jan-2006, 21:58
Bevel Head

Mood: Flatulent
ITG airfilters

Has anyone got any comments - good or bad - on ITG airfilters with a DP chip and 45/50mm half system on a 996? Or what's the best/most robust airfilter for this setup?

Cheers!
Old 22-Jan-2006, 22:05
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

There is a thread on this and on which shazaam gave views.

I ran the JHP filter (same as ITG) on my 996 with a 45/50 system and it wroked well. I did take the mesh off the front of the air ducts on the basis that after any long ride it was full of bugs and must have had some limiting effect on airflow. Oddly, whenever I looked in the airbox thee was no muck/stones/flies/small birds etc., so maybe the mesh attracted dirt...
Old 22-Jan-2006, 22:09
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
I'lllet you know next month!!!

I've been running an ITG with 45's and a chip and had no problems, I've just put 50's on the bike but it won't be fired up and run for a short while.

Hope that has helped.

dave
Old 22-Jan-2006, 23:18
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Never had any problems in the last seven years.
Old 23-Jan-2006, 01:05
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Any filter that takes up Volume in the airbox is pants. I can see why some prefer the filtration of undertank types but you can't beat in tube filters for throttle response and power.

Tried the pipercross type that goes between the inlets into the airbox but now use in tube pipercross. The dyno and the Mk1 backside dyno told me that the latter was better for my bike, a 998.

Ray
Old 23-Jan-2006, 01:23
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
I agree with Ray. I ran an undertank filter for quite a while. Although the bike felt fine, the filter was fitted when I bought the bike, before I started selling the MPX038's that fit in the tubes I tried them first and noticed a marked improvement in throttle response and maybe a little more kick up the top end. The induction noise is certainly louder
They are far thicker than the stock filters, and a little bigger so seal correctly in the tubes and seem quite happy to run without the mesh over the front of the tubes to.
To some degree I still suggest the undertank filters on the earlier bikes with the thin tank/airbox seal as this lets dirt in. I've replaced mine with the later one which is a lot thicker though and now enjoy a dust free airbox
The '38's are washable and seem to last pretty well and at £25 a set, cost little more than the stock tube filters but a lot less than the undertank items.
Old 23-Jan-2006, 12:49
Montjuic

Wel to throw another spanner in the works. Im having the K&N JHP filter fitted in my 996R. John Hackets fitting it and what he dosnt know about these bikes is not worth talking about.

He really does rate the type I am having fitted. Discuss.
Old 23-Jan-2006, 13:01
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by i porter
Wel to throw another spanner in the works. Im having the K&N JHP filter fitted in my 996R. John Hackets fitting it and what he dosnt know about these bikes is not worth talking about.

K&N JHP Filter? I know John's helped develop a pipercross filter, didn't know he had anything to do with K&N
Old 23-Jan-2006, 13:12
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
Is it necessary to keep the rubber bungs in the airtubes on a 996.
I know they are removed when fitting an under tank filter but what about when using other filters?
Old 23-Jan-2006, 13:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Quote:
Originally posted by i porter

Which particular aspect, filtration/airflow, Top end power, mid range, throttle response, ease of fitting, ease of removal, induction noise, price/value for money, how often you fall off and end up with gravel in the airbox!!

all points for discussion when choosing a filter.

All I'm saying is what worked on my bike for me, when the filter(S) was the only change.

On the orginal question best/most robust combination, it's a compromise, "best" filtration doesn't always equal "best" performance. You have to decide what you want regarding the aspects described above, then you compromise.

Mr Shazaam posted his piece on this sort of topic and while ago.

Ray.