Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 05-Sep-2011, 13:37
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Either my bike is so badly set up that I am used to being all over the place, or I like it rough and loose……. But thinking about the lap, there are only a couple of bumpy bits worth worrying about.

My lap….
Start/Finish straight – Fine
Avon rise – a few bumps, but in a straight line, so no worries
Quarry – as smooth and flat as any bend anywhere
Farm Straight – Fine
The Esses – a nasty dip on the apex of the left that I just make sure I go wide of, then there is no problem. Not slow though as it is easily flat in 3rd.
Old Paddock Bend – proper bumpy and probably the worst section of track for bumps, but the bike goes through there with no problems if you are brave enough.
Hammerdown – No problems
Tower corner – A strange downhill bend, but plenty smooth enough
Bobbies – again, I find I cannot cut the left at all because it has quite a dip, but it is still a 3rd gear chicane, so not exactly stop/go
Westway – some undulations, but not really bumpy
Dean straight hairpin – down to second gear (but high in the revs, so not exactly crawling), but a bit bumpy on the way in, so you can’t leave braking too late because there is nowhere to go….. an easy place to make up time on everyone by making sure you are slow in and on the power early.
Camp Corner – as smooth as any corner anywhere, and as fast as you are brave enough to take it.

…so fast and smooth for 80% of the lap (or I’m just not as sensitive to bumps as the rest of you).
Old 05-Sep-2011, 14:49
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
Either my bike is so badly set up that I am used to being all over the place, or I like it rough and loose etc etc

dont know the names much but...straight bits bumpy but its straight quarry very - when on the brakes deep into the corner trying to catch up I closed my eyes a couple of time with throttle wide open as I though it was game over...esses were but not enough to back off, the corner before second chicane was very - enough that I had to feather throttle a little or again front felt so choppy almost as if I shut throttle and braked...and the last corner exactly the same especially if taking a wide line and late exit to try and get under the bike in front on exit, although a tighter line in/wider exit was not that bad but everyone in front was using that

now last year I had no issues with bumps, but bike was very soft and I was riding 5 secs a lap slower...so combination of the two means I was closer to my edge

and other than the first chiance, no brakes for me, the rest needed heavy braking to get in and out so I'd say point an squirt as drive is all important; not fast in fast out

all comes down to a simple thing, no excuses; I rode as hard and fast as I could and it was enough for a 7th and 5th. The guys in front rode faster. As they have most of the year.

Now its just decsion time still; sell B bike and buy an A (like Neil's or the other on here) or spend a hefty wedge on sorting mine and go for a top 3 finish next year. To B or not to B, that IS the question
Old 05-Sep-2011, 20:30
MotoGP God

not that bumpy eh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstsSrRvCRw
Old 05-Sep-2011, 21:45
Mille

I have to agree with Ron on this one. My front was moving around a fair bit in race 2 but I was pushing quite hard to catch-up. I dont remember one corner being that bad and honestly the bumps werent a distraction. Yes I certainly remember my front bouncing and chattering away when braking late into the chicanes but I got use to this.

It might be the setup of my bike but I found Cadwell more worrying on my front. Also I was shocked that I could make it by you on the straight at Castle but couldnt really gain on you at Cadwell on the straight?

I am not sure whether I will be doing class A, B or nothing at all next year. My issue this year has been that my lack of mechanical know-how has left me quite out of pocket with all my off track excursions.

Anyways shame not to see you at Oulton!
Old 05-Sep-2011, 21:52
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP
Also I was shocked that I could make it by you on the straight at Castle but couldnt really gain on you at Cadwell on the straight?

Cadwell is flat almost everywhere (as in throttle not no undulations ) so my exit speed is pretty high and that may have helped, plus very few corners were so low a gear or low in the revs in 3rd - again better drive maybe

hope the kitchen blokey does a quick job; I want to be at Oulton to watch the end to this and see my partner Dentist win the novice title
Old 05-Sep-2011, 22:21
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
Cadwell is flat almost everywhere (as in throttle not no undulations ) so my exit speed is pretty high and that may have helped, plus very few corners were so low a gear or low in the revs in 3rd - again better drive maybe

hope the kitchen blokey does a quick job; I want to be at Oulton to watch the end to this and see my partner Dentist win the novice title

I am yet to fully understand much about drive and bhp etc in this series. Some days I gain and somedays I lose. However, there are only two constants for me this year and they are than KevP will always outdrag me off the start (especially if I wheelie and then stall) and that Alan will always be able to outdrag me at will on any straight at any track!

As for the novice title Im not sure what to say without sounding like an arrogant tw*t which I have already been accused of being today on FB.

No disrespect intended to anyone but think the scoring is a bit off if I can have over double the points of the next person in the actual series and have never been beaten by any of the other novices (without leaving the race early ) but yet not be able to win the "novice championship".

The problem of having seperate points table is that it means that you have to just focus on one or the other. If I focussed on the novice championship I would not have to push so much and would likely have been able to keep it sunny side up all year but that would be useless for the actual championship.

With the rules and point system that was set out clearly earlier this year it looks like The Dentist shall rightly reign supreme. I am not trying to contest this because I made a decision to pursue the main championship at the risk of losing the novice if I crashed out but perhaps it might be something to look at next year.
Old 05-Sep-2011, 22:47
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 848 Evo ‘Pikes Peak’, 748S, 200 Single

if my calculations are correct, phil would still be beating you with a points system the same as the main championship.
Old 05-Sep-2011, 22:54
MotoGP God

and my constant excuse is everyone is faster in a straight line than me

Matt reckons 620 helped him a lot; maybe the same for me
Old 05-Sep-2011, 23:53
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull
if my calculations are correct, phil would still be beating you with a points system the same as the main championship.

Sorry perhaps I wasnt clear. The points system that is exclusive only to novices is a bit flawed because I was not racing only novices and there are people finishing between me and Phil and the other novices.
Basically to try and win the novice cup my tactics would have to be very different because I know there is not enough of a buffer offered in the points if I make a mistake while pushing harder. Instead I would just have to pass the fastest novice and then riding cautiously home rather than pushing for a podium. However I will always push to do the best I can (hence my spill at crashwell park).

I worked this out early on in the year that I would risk losing the novice cup so again I say that Im not trying to alter the inevitable outcome just a thought for next year. Dont most race series just use the points from the main championship?
Old 06-Sep-2011, 00:42
MotoGP God

stop moaning, you cant have it all ways

Phil has finished every race, ridden as hard as he dare and done the best job with a very budget bike he personally could, and tbh I find your responses quite offensive and dismissive of his effort.

We cant all be superstars in our first season, same as we cant all win a title in any season and we cant all spend a fortune on our bikes or change tyres every race or cant whatever you choose.

The rules were there at teh beginning, the same rules which stop Alan winning the title because he has to drop loads of points and helps You, Ron etc in with a shout of winning it

Winning comes with responsibility. Please show a little humility to those not as good

Concentrate on the big prize