Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 18-Dec-2005, 02:57
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Quote:
Originally posted by pedro
thats wright ian,the 999 series has won wsb in 03,04, its first years on the grid ! winner of bsb 05, the gp bike is the fastest bike in gp & with race wins under its belt & with two of the best riders on it for next year. its the brand to be on, were on the up mate.my glass is half full.

Nice one mate.....

A bit of positive thinking
Old 18-Dec-2005, 03:11
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Quote:
Originally posted by Brogins
Come on guys, a Ducati is a Ducati.. the brand still works...
most of us (someone probably not!) knows what they are doing buying a duke.. joy and sometimes troubles.
Do you want a commuting bike to go up and down the M4 on every kind of weather? Please do not buy a 999...

I agree with the swiss collegue here..but we are talking of a firm in Bologna that faces japanese huge diversified corporations

it may be in decline... BUT..it is still...
...the only alternative to a jap bike
..not a 4 cylinder
..made in Italy ()
...doesn't change graphics and model every 6 months

and there are a lot of other positive sides that Ducati owners can appreciate...

and..IT IS NOT true that all the Ducati services shops (or the service in general .) are bad and are "not calling back" ..it may be less organized service chain than japs, but eventually it works. If not, means that the shop owner, no matter the brand he sell, should change job..

So, recession? yes - it is a general one..
Less bike sold? - yes..

Brand decline? I don't think so.. may be when Ducati will start to do generators like Honda or jetskis like yamaha... yes

[Edited on 14-12-2005 by Brogins]

Well said old chap.

I think some of the Ducati products are underated. I brought a 749S because it represented the best value for money Ducati superbike available. I haven't had any problems with the bike. Its a bloody dream to work on and well though out.

Most of the guys I ride with have 1000cc L4's and struggle to keep up. Probably because I regularly thrash the ass off it. I'm often told that it's bloody quick for a small vee twin and that's simply because the product works well out of the crate.
Old 18-Dec-2005, 23:02
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Im not sure Ducatis problems are all in their Hands,theres other problems looming up that are greater than brand image etc.
although I dont like the look of the 749/999 if you look at the new jap bikes they are using design clues from these bikes minimilist rears etc so the look will slowly be fashionable.
I think their problems lie in the age group of their customers and the impending restrictions on new motorcyclists,most of Ducatis owners have tasted or own jap bikes as well and can afford the unrealistic labour and servicing times.
new riders are not going to fork out for bikes that are in general 50% cheaper than the equivalent Ducati.
take the GSXR 600/R6 goodtrack bikes excellent road bikes plenty about cheap replacment parts if you drop it on track days, long service intervals and plenty of dealers local to most.
Its a throw away scociety and most young riders want a cheap performance bike and will rather spend £3000 on a fairly new bike than £4500 on a 4 year old Ducati with all its inherant servicing costs.
the crunch is I bought a Ducati this time because I could'nt afford one 20 years ago and I dont think Ducati can wait this long this time round.
As for customer service I dont think Ducati Main Dealers will ever match BMW.
Would a Ducati dealer match this when I bought my BCR,a test bike for the day which I put 300 miles on a years warranty/rescue, spares within 2 days 10 dealers in the top 20 RIDE survey, £220.00 for 6000 mile service including RT1200 fully blinged for the day.
I dont think the 'Brand' is in decline but their sales definately will be.
ian
Old 19-Dec-2005, 06:35
Mille

Mood: I AM looking forward to racing..
I'll tell you what else I reckon Ducati's problem is...they build bikes that are just far too 'good' and 'evocative'...let me explain.
With UJM's they're out of date after a year, and DEFINATELY old hat after two. Trouble is, Ducati build bikes that a different sort of owner buys, loves, cherishes, and keeps. And keeps. And keeps. Then after 5+ years of ownership spends a load more cash on doing it up a bit after it's got a little tatty. And then after 10 years (Like my 888) feels like it's an absolute classic and part of 'the family.' Bang goes people rushing to update to the latest model each year or two! If Ducati's were a bit crapper and were superceded by a considerable margin every two years then their turnover of new buyers would probably be more. They're just too 'soulful' and nice to own, for their own good!