Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Sep-2003, 15:19
Montjuic

The system is a Termignoni, I purchased it through JHP. The quality of the welds on the outside looks fine, it is the inside that is terrible.
I used a carbide tip with an air powered high speed grinder to clean it all up.

Had the same problem with the captive nut assemblies and used ground down nuts made to fit.

The system is definately the 57mm. My friends 54mm Termi system measures in at 53.5mm external diameter.

The issue with power seems quite simple as the bikes appear to be very sensitive to cam timing.
I have graphs with three sets of cam timing with a variance of 8rwhp (128-136hp).
The job took around 3hours total, at least one of that was making things fit.

A big thanks to Rob at MPR in Melbourne who showed me how to install the system, lent me his workshop and tools and ended up doing most of the work.
Old 15-Sep-2003, 09:26
Mille

Checked the circumference in a few places and did some maths, then checked the od with a vernier. 57/58mm was the consistant result.

Makes you feel sorry for the people who buy the D50 system!!

I was able to move the link pipe out the way of the swing arm using the limited adjustement in the little offset bracket supplied in the kit. Still damn close tho!
Old 16-Sep-2003, 16:21
Mille

Stephens, first impressions?

Worth the money? Big pipes still a good starting point?
Old 16-Sep-2003, 22:39
Montjuic

The pipes are very sensitive to cam timing.
They lose out on power1-2hp compared to the 54mm system under 6000rpm and produce that much more thereafter.
The Power Commander has not arrived yet, so I cannot give a verdict yet, but the system is producing about the same power, but with more midrange than my asymetrical exhaust system on the last bike. Setting cam timing resulted in an 8rwhp power increase. The cam timing to be used with thestandard ECU is 107 inlet 108 exhaust measured at the lobe centres. (standard 112,116) I will set up the PC with both this factory setting and the standard setting to compare, but te ECU does not fuel properly standard with standrd cam timing. Another glitch is the ECU has a 10400rpm rev limit. I ended up "borrowing" a Corse ECU which has a 11900 rev limit. Incidently the recommended cam timing works well with the lower rev limit. I will scan and post a dyno graph later, I have got to get rady for a track day now.
Old 20-Sep-2003, 11:23
Montjuic

I discovered a special tool required to fit the 54 and 57mm exhaust systems, with proper swing arm clearance. Thanks to Tony at Ducati Melbourne, I was shown how to mount the link holding the collector, on the front of the mount welded to the frame, and behind the rubber bushes on the mount attached to the exhaust. Mounting it this way pushes the exhaust clear of the swing arm. The trick is to move the pipe in such a way that the link can be fitted this way. This is done with a special tool that should really come delivered with the system, a tyre iron. Placing a suitably padded (so it doesn't scratch anything) tyre iron between the exhaust and the swing arm, then lever it out, while someone puts the link in place. You need to use plenty of force, because it actually bends the front engine pipe that runs under the sump closer to the centre of the bike. Voila no more clearance problem.
Old 21-Sep-2003, 21:27
Mille

I used a large soft faced hammer.......

Ooohps!

Same result tho'.

Just fitted a 14t lightweight front sprocket. Since my bike gets used mostly on the road I wanted to make it a bit more mannerly in 1st and 2nd.

New bike!! A highly recommended cheap mod for road bike users.

Ooh its a bit of a wheely monster now tho'. No pain, no gain.....

My dyno chart on the D57's straight with the DP chip will be up next wknd. Dyno run booked for friday.
Old 28-Sep-2003, 18:15
Mille

Out of the box, 2 dry run fits, no CO2 mods, no cam dialling........
Old 28-Sep-2003, 18:28
Mille

the last post should of had a dyno scan attached. It said 139.10. I'll work on it later.

My dyno chap overlaid heavily modified 996 and 998 charts, poki-est Duke on the dyno ever.

Relative I know.

If you want noise, buy what you can afford. If you want to develop the 999, buy the biggest pipes you can afford
Old 29-Sep-2003, 14:20
Mille

hope this works!!
Old 29-Sep-2003, 14:27
Mille

hope this works!!