Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Aug-2004, 09:34
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yep,the earlier bikes had a slightly differant number plate light too.It had just a push on cover that was prone to falling off.Most were replaced with the newer type cover with a screw in the side.
My bikes an 02 model on a '52' plate.
Old 30-Aug-2004, 11:53

There is a simple option that costs nothing and takes only a few minutes. Unscrew the black part of the number plate holder, attach the number plate to the remaining section.

That's what i've done and it looks much better.
Old 30-Aug-2004, 12:46
Big Twin

Yeh, but you still have all the ugly metal bracket attached to the underside of the exhaust, when this is removed it transforms the back end of the bike.
Old 30-Aug-2004, 13:43
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
I still have the stainless bracket (original) with the number plate mounted directly on it and the light modified as shown , I think this is better than some of the brackets I have seen for mounting under the rear light as they look pretty flimsy.

Also , if you remove the original mount you are left with the mounting studs protruding from the standard silencer , not pretty

If you have a termi silencer fitted you are left with open threaded inserts , or I suppose you could put bolts in them , either way is a dirt / corrosion trap.
Old 30-Aug-2004, 21:52
500SD

The kit comes with dome nuts to put onto the studs - didn't know what they were for as I have the Termis but if the standard can has studs then that makes sence. I put the bolts back into the inserts... don't think it will be more of a dirt trap than the original bracketry

Did over a hundred miles today to Popham and back and it hasn't fallen off yet so I guess my fears of the single bolt being a problem are unfounded as yet.

Talking of which - anyone see/own the 999 with no rear lamp unit that was at Popham? It had a tiny tiny plate and an LED tail/brake light sandwhiched between the seat cowl & exhaust. Very neat but I wondered whether da Law took a dim view...