Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Sep-2005, 14:47
Ducati Corse

But why are tyre warmers considered to be excesive for the novice group? Surely having confidence in your tyres is even more important for novices than for experienced track riders.
Old 18-Sep-2005, 15:05
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
I got back in to trackday riding this year at Snett with Chicken Antoine and my cousin Roger.
It was Rogers first day on track and he came off at the chicane. He didn’t know why he’d come off but after debriefing him we concluded that he had been court out by cold Rennsports. He got a set of warmers off ebay before he’s second day out.

Now with his Pro V twins 996, Rensports, Scuffed up leathers and warmers, he looks like a seasoned vet. If you just look at the bike he would get throne to the lions in the fast group.

Old 18-Sep-2005, 16:05
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
But what is wrong with a person who might well be on their very first trackday and has got lots of money buying a set of wets, slicks and tyre warmers? Does that make them a fast rider? Does the level of kit you have influence which group you should go in?

Quite agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with having all the bells and whistles, and pottering around in the novices on Wets, but the situation I was remarking on was a bloke who was noticeably faster than everyone else in a group that varied from absolute novices to "mid-range" intermediates (it was a novice/inters & inters/fast two group event). When it comes to "close passing" and general track etiquette, I think there is a huge difference between what is acceptable in a novice group, what is acceptable in a pure inters group and what is acceptable in a fast group. When it is a two group event, you are bound to get a greater range of speed/ability in each group and, surely, if you place yourself in a group with novices in (potentially first track-dayers), you should abide by what is acceptable in a novices group, so I was just surprised that a bloke with the speed to run quite happily in an inters/fast group was doing going round with what he must have seen as a fair number of "mobile chicanes".