Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Mar-2005, 16:11
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Now where was this 1400 miler? Might be worth a punt? Hartford? Where was it advertised?

Ian - you said no service history when you saw it and the condition wasn't right? It was advertised as immaculate and FSH - what's the story?

Tim

I wondered about that, too.

I mean, in general terms, what service history do we expect on a 1400 mike bike? One 500 mile oil-change and look-over (presumably that at least had been done?)? I realise oil change/service intervals are time as well as mileage-related, but surely there's distinction between missing mileage-related services and time-related ones. If a bike had been sat in a garage and hardly used for 5 years or whatever, I'd have though that a full service and fluid change would put it back in the pink. That's not like riding for 12000 milles without changing the oil.

All of which is not criticise Ian_km at all; he saw the bike and we didn't. Just a general point for discussion, really.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:16

Quote:
Now where was this 1400 miler? Might be worth a punt? Hartford? Where was it advertised?

Ian - you said no service history when you saw it and the condition wasn't right? It was advertised as immaculate and FSH - what's the story?

The 1400 miler is advertised through George Petch Honda dealer, though the bike was still with the owner near Hartford awaiting trade in. The only proof of any work was a receipt for a belt service last year, no sign of an initial service or any other, as for condition, I have to admit to being very particular, there where big chips on the rear wheel (tyre change I guess) and a few chips on the bodywork, nothing major.

I see your point about mileage/time related services, it made me nervous thats all, probably fine really, I know he was looking around the £8,300 mark. Happy hunting

http://www.dealer.autotrader.co.uk/_georgepetch.htm

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by Ian_km]
Old 28-Mar-2005, 21:41
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian_km
Quote:

The 1400 miler is advertised through George Petch Honda dealer, though the bike was still with the owner near Hartford awaiting trade in. The only proof of any work was a receipt for a belt service last year, no sign of an initial service or any other, as for condition, I have to admit to being very particular, there where big chips on the rear wheel (tyre change I guess) and a few chips on the bodywork, nothing major.

I see your point about mileage/time related services, it made me nervous thats all, probably fine really, I know he was looking around the £8,300 mark. Happy hunting

http://www.dealer.autotrader.co.uk/_georgepetch.htm

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by Ian_km]

Thanks, with a bike like that you are going to want to get her fully serviced anyway. Were the tyres original? I assume not if there were tyre change marks, but why would anyone want to change tyres on a 1400 mile bike - unless there was some track action taking place?

As for stone chips, this could be legit, depends on how many I spose!!!

Tim
Old 28-Mar-2005, 22:13

Tyres were not original either, Metzeler Rennsports and they were shot, again strange since I think he said he bought it with 900 miles on, so 500 miles for a set of Rennsports ???..maybe on the track I suppose.