Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Jul-2006, 16:52
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
[SORTED] [ELECTRIC] weird problem with my 600...

I really thought I could do a test drive with my road bike today (it has been SORN for 2 years...). Everything has been serviced, 1 week ago the bike still started and ran quite well. But since a few days (I can't remember when the problem occured for the first time...) when I turn the key in the ignition lock, the warning lights (neutral, stand and oil pressure) hardly turn on. I can see some electricity is going through them as they shine slightly but there is clearly something wrong. Of course the bike no longer starts and no head lights or anything electric works. The weird thing is that if I change the kill switch to the "kill" position, all warning lights become on but there is still not enough power to turn the head light on by example.

Obviously I tried another battery, it seems the problem comes from something else as the 2 batteries I have work very well when fitted on the race bike...

Any ideas?

Last edited by Tonio600 : 16-Jul-2006 at 12:14.
Old 15-Jul-2006, 17:08
DaveB916

Dirty, greasy or corroded earth strap to engine/chassis causing high resistance?
Old 15-Jul-2006, 17:55
Ducati in my Blood

that's an idea, it could well be something like that. Cheers mate, will check/clean all earth straps.
Old 15-Jul-2006, 19:01
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
In the Kill position you are no longer powering the ignition circuit or the fuel pump, so they are not loading the battery.
It sounds as if you have a flat battery, poor earth or Loose battery leads, You could possibly have a seized fuel pump or a blocked fuel filter causing excessive current draw with the switch in the run position

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 15-Jul-2006, 22:18
Montjuic

Mood: dazed and confused
M600 doesn't have an electric fuel pump - works off engine vaccum.

Main ignition relays have been known to go belly up and cause problems like this, as do faulty side stand relays (where fitted). Other than that bad connections or broken wires in loom, and even duff ignition switches are possible culprits.
Old 16-Jul-2006, 12:13
Ducati in my Blood

As written on the UKMOC board, Gary forted me out

Thanks all for your help guys.