Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Jun-2003, 12:26
500SD

ok, so whats the best clutch plates??

What the best clutch plates to use??
Ducati's own clutch pack is around £160ish but i've seen people mention JHP does some 'hardwearing' plates with oversize tabs to reduce basket wear. Are they any good?
Is there different types of sintered plates?
Old 20-Jun-2003, 14:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
JHP's plates are now carbon faced alloy, not the sintered ones.
Can't think that they would be selling them if they weren't any good or better than the OE stuff. They are about £140 ish complete with new plain plates.
Old 20-Jun-2003, 15:06
Mille

Mood: Yoi
JHP carbon clutch plates

I've been using these all year on trackdays (6 days so far) and they are truly exceptional.

Quieter, smoother, and apparently long lasting!

[Edited on 20-6-2003 by David Cook]
Old 20-Jun-2003, 17:16
Montjuic

Mood: Fannytastic
I use the ST4S clutch plates as they have a wider head and last longer, they are also lighter as they are made of aluminium and dont rattle, they are the perfect compliment in an ally basket or slipper.
I put them in the race bikes and they go on and on. In fact the head will hammer out before the friction material wears. Try your local Ducati dealer for prices but they aern't that expensive.
Old 20-Jun-2003, 17:17
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Every report I've read claims that the stock Ducati clutch plates last 1.5 times longer than aftermarket plates, specifically Barnett and Surflex.

My 916 ran 27,000 miles on the original plates so I replaced them with the same. They're a good value.
Old 20-Jun-2003, 21:53
Big Twin

Mood: happy
What ever plated you put in, make sure you put the spacer plates in in the correct order. You will have some thicker than others. Just copy what comes out.
Old 28-Jun-2003, 23:25
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Adam, it does'nt matter what ordr the spacer plates go in as long as you get the dished one in the correct order and facing the right way. First one dot towards you , last one dot away from you. Have fitted Bucci slipper with carbon plates, very smooth, very quite, no snatch no binding or other unpleasant noises, no fear now when charging into a turn and changing down

I had the bronze sintered materials with the STM clutch, this was very abbrasive to the touch and after using it at first it started to slip. Took it apart to find a couple of polished parts of the friction material and quite a few scores on the spacer plates. Changed plates and cured slip for a time.

Jon