Ducati Sporting Club UK
Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers!
This section allows you to ask questions about insurance directly to Ducati Insurance and receive a reply!

Old 28-Dec-2005, 18:39

Bike Insurance Abroad - Bit more than a holiday!

Hi,

I'm new on here and have a quick question. I am currently working and living in Norway. I plan to bring my 748 over here in the spring, for about 6 months, then take it back to the UK in the autumn.

I have checked with some of the guys at work and I will be able to keep my UK plates and not pay any import tax if it's only here temporalirly, i.e. under 6 months.

That just leaves insurance. I am currently with Carol Nash, haven't spoken to them about this yet, but I just want to know if this will be covered under my normal insurance or am I going to need a completely different policy because the bike will be out of the UK for about 6 months.

Any experiances / info would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Craig
Old 28-Dec-2005, 21:27
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
I'm with Carole Nash.
Just checked my schedule & I have automatic cover for 45 days a year for EU, Norway & Switzerland.
This is provided my main residence is in the UK... so you'd be in Norway for 5 months & 30 days then......
You have to contact CN if you want cover for a country other than those above & for longer than 45 days so they can most likely get more money out of you!
Old 28-Dec-2005, 23:42

Thanks for the info.

The UK resident could be a problem as I will be here for more than 6 months, probably, however the bike will be registered taxed, MOTed etc in the UK. Also I will keep my UK drivers licence, no need to change it here.

I think the other problems is they only cover you for 3rd party, or maybe this is if you go over the 45 day period.

On a brighter note my insurance runs out in June, I think, so may be I can have 45 days on this years and 45 days on next years policy!

Hmmmmmm.......any other ideas.

Craig
Old 29-Dec-2005, 00:52
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
From what I understand, the 45 days would be a benefit of your individual policy giving you full cover whilst visiting a country in the EC. In addition, EC Directive 72/166/EEC requires motor insurance to cover minimum legal requirements of any EC member state, not just the UK.

So your UK policy has to automatically cover your civil liabilities for using the bike in Norway. That would be the equivalent of what we call Third Party Only in England.

The detail of where you're considered to be normally resident would, as you know, be determined by where you live for most of the year, but this shouldn't have any bearing on your UK insurance as long as you still have a UK address to register the bike to and you're still a British citizen. I was living and working in Ireland whilst still having a house in England where I paid council tax and kept my bikes, the insurance was unaffected and I was able to take a bike to Ireland for the summer based on minuimum legal cover. But I don't know if conditions of residency might be a requirement of YOUR insurance... something you'd have to check with Carol Nash.