Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jul-2014, 17:27   #1
Big Twin

WANTED 998 Wiring harness and ECU
After several attempts to get my 998 project to run correctly with the 16M ecu I must coincide it's not going to happen any time soon. So.........

The harness is number one on my list but I also need the ecu.

As per sods law when you want one ebay has none. LOL
Old 03-Jul-2014, 17:47   #2
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Neil, you can use a variety of harnesses some with very minor mods such as the 620/800/1000 Monster and Supersport harnesses
Same goes for the ECU any 59M can be loaded with a 998 program easy enough and even the later 5AM ecus can be used

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 03-Jul-2014, 20:20   #3
Big Twin

I thought that Kev but needed some guidance. This makes it a lot easier than I first thought. So would I need the whole loom or just the ecu side? Any more info would be great Kev.

There is a brand new 1000ss loom on the bay. What sort of mods are you talking about?

Cheers

Neil

Last edited by dunlop0_1 : 03-Jul-2014 at 20:29.
Old 03-Jul-2014, 22:30   #4
MotoGP God

The mods basically as with any race loom is ripping out the lighting, indicators etc, and then usually extending the battery connections
It's amazing how simple it can be, the side of the ECU with the Diagnostic wires can be whittled down to 5 wires, the other side is pretty standard for most bikes with
2 X wires for coils
2 X wires for Injectors
4 X wires for Air Temp/pressure
1 X wire Engine Temp
3 X wires for Crank Sensor
3 X wires for TPS

Ignition Relay/Fuel pump and starter I usually wire separate from ECU but standard wiring can be used

Not sure what Dallas has done with his loom off his 1000SS that is the donor for the Pierobon, as I'll be fitting a 1098 harness and dash to it just as I am with my 998R and my 998Hybrid

Old 04-Jul-2014, 08:24   #5
Big Twin

Cheers Kev. The bike is up and running (16M &748 chip), starts on the button but it's looks like getting it dialled in fuel / ignition wise is going to be long and expensive.

After what you said I think I will splice the 998 ECU connectors onto the end of the 996 harness. That way every thing can stay as it is.

You don't happen to have the relevant ECU?wiring diagram you could mail me do you?

Thanks again
Old 04-Jul-2014, 11:33   #6
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
If you want a 996 eprom as a better starting point, I should be able to make you one as I have a 996 map and some blank chips kicking around. You could then make up the difference with a Power Commander, which is you best/easiest route if you're going to dyno it anyway.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 04-Jul-2014, 15:29   #7
Big Twin

Ant.
Thanks for that. I have it running/starting beautiful at the mo with a stock 748 chip but this is surely going to give the wrong ignition/fuel timing? I have a power commander fitted with a 998 map so there is base fuelling there already.

I have tried one of those Gotham UM222 equivalent single injector chips but the damn thing would not rev past 9k. Bit baffled really.

If you are confident that your chip will do the biz to start with then yes lets go for it. If so then PM me the cost etc and ways to pay

Cheers.

Neil
Old 04-Jul-2014, 17:16   #8
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Interesting...

I think it's only the fuel map on those plug-in chips anyway, so you may be onto a loser with that ECU if the PC can't change the ignition... especially as it's the testastretta engine in the 998?

You may be better off just sticking with ECU + PC if you can get it onto a dyno and it allows you to add enough fuel to make up the differences between 748 and 998, and can do the ignition too (or it's ok to start with!).

I'm not familiar with the PC system to say one way or the other I'm afraid. Can you change the ignition timing on it?

I can provide you a map of fuel and ignition timing from the standard/dp ecus so you can translate that into your PC if that will help?

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 04-Jul-2014, 17:59   #9
Big Twin

Yep stretta engine. You can change the ignition timing on some bikes but I need to plug it back into the pc to find out. Will let you know.
Old 04-Jul-2014, 22:51   #10
MotoGP God

I have quite a few PC3 USB units for my Ducatis and none of them can alter the Ignition timing
Not sure what the differences are between
996 TPS and the 998 TPS
Separate Air Temp and pressure sensors on the 996 to the combined unit on the 998.
Engine temp is the same
the 916 would usually use two green injectors capable of flowing 270cc/min each, the 748R throttle bodies use one yellow injector capable of delivering either 470 or 490 cc/min think its the latter
So bound to need some playing with

Neil let us have your email addy and i'll fore over the ECU wiring connections I have