Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Mar-2006, 15:00
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Shopping frenzy

Quote:
Originally posted by Nattyboy
Rod - theres a specific bike bits section mate

Nat, thanks I eventually found it after three trips to different branches of Halfords. Was basically looking for the wrong stuff and eventually found it. Eureka! Oxford Products "Screen Trim" in black. One question though. Got the mesh from B & Q but it says it is ordinary drawn steel mesh, just the same stuff as in your pics. Is it treated or did you have yours anodised/galvanised & if not have you just left it as is? Is it corroded at all since you fitted it? If untreated I figured I would get it anodised or at least zinc plated to stop it rusting. I was hoping to find a local company that would maybe stick it in as part of a bigger job lot to keep the evils of corrosion at bay and the price down.

[Edited on 11-3-2006 by Rod]
Old 11-Mar-2006, 15:04
Mille

Nat, Doh! Just re-read your post where you mention the "screen trim". That will teach me to read through 'em properly next time eh?
Old 11-Mar-2006, 17:55
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Rod mine was plain steel so is now rusty lol i plan to paint it once summer gets here. just rub it down and paint silver with some high temp paint.

I think the mesh on them both has saved a lot of damage to the fins so well worth it in the long run even if it is brown now
Old 11-Mar-2006, 19:42
Mille

I thought mine might go down that road if left untreated, so thanks for the info. I think I will get the bugger anodised and then I can fit and forget it. No luck finding a local company to do it so looks like a trip to Erith is in order. I used a company called Star Anodising and they were very efficient and cheap, which is nice. Failing that I will get it galvanised.
Old 11-Mar-2006, 20:09
Big Twin

yep only took about 2 wet trips to get it brown lol I wish i wouldve painted mine now first or coated it with something.

I really think as standard there should be a cover of some sort not so bad on a sports bike as the fairing hides the rad a lot so you cant notice it so much, on the new s4rs the oil cooler looks to nice to to get wet even!!
Old 12-Mar-2006, 20:21
Mille

I\'ll get me powder coat

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee1980
yep only took about 2 wet trips to get it brown lol I wish i wouldve painted mine now first or coated it with something.

I really think as standard there should be a cover of some sort not so bad on a sports bike as the fairing hides the rad a lot so you cant notice it so much, on the new s4rs the oil cooler looks to nice to to get wet even!!

Well I have decided to get it powder coated after it's cut and shaped to fit both the rad and oil cooler. Found a fantastic local company who a friend of mine recommended today and they seem to be very reasonable when it comes to prices. Check out their website on www.aerocoat.net

They can even coat in flip colours and chrome effect finishes! I'm just getting the mesh done in silver in an effort to make it look discreet.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 09:44
Mille

OK went a bit overboard with mine and got the mesh grilles silver nickel plated and decided to cover both front and rear faces. Looks good now it's done and covers that oh so vulnerable oil cooler.

[Edited on 28-4-2006 by Rod]
Old 28-Apr-2006, 10:37
Big Twin

Very nice rod I dont get why on both S4r and S4rs there is no protection as standard both are so vunerable to bent fins from stones etc.

how u finding the S4rs? love those radials mmmmmm
Old 28-Apr-2006, 20:10
Mille

You got that right! The fins as such are extremely soft and even brushing your hand over them or a sponge when you wash the bike will distort them. I had loads of problems on my old 748 and even had an oil cooler go on me due to a stone piercing one of the fluid carrying channels. I decided it was not worth the risk and brought my bike back from the dealers in a van before I fitted the protectors.

In answer to your question, I am still running it in (300 miles on the clock so far) so taking it easy to start with but at the max 6000 rpm which I am limited to for now, it is nudging over the ton and obviously has bags more to go. I believe the redline is at around 10000 rpm. Acceleration is spectacular and the bloody thing pulls like a train. Much more fun than my 999 was as the power is so much more useable and tractable and where you want it rather than at licence losing speeds the whole time, which in the real world is where most of us need it. Just waiting for the first service then I am binning those awful exhaust and that hideous cat. Only thing I want to do now is apply some sort of protective coat to the fork legs which are subject to stone chips. I have some tecnosel clear film which is probably what will work best, as it's resilient to all except giant boulders hitting it. As for the brakes, two fingers is all it takes to have you bury your face in the clocks unless you are very gentle with them. A lot of people say it is overbraked for the bike but I am used to similar setups on my 998, 999 so I can't say I have noticed it.
Old 29-Apr-2006, 10:02
Big Twin

Sounds awesome Rod, I know if the RS was avaliable when i got mine for the extra money it wouldve been well worth it over the S4R.

At the moe just not different enough and im only not happy with mine cause of fuelling issue due to dodgy tps see thread further down, dont think mine has been right for a long time!!! I cant imagine the brakes and engine be ing much more powerful, mine gets me in enough trouble as it is!

We need more pics to, to drool over
We just jealous