Ducati Sporting Club UK
DSC & Ducati Events
Local, national & worldwide Ducati related event notices

Old 05-Jul-2012, 16:54

Advice on Riding to the Mugello GP

I all, i would apreciate any advice , as im thinking of Riding my 748 to the Mugello GP in Itally. How many days does it take, whats the quickest, safest route from the midlands?, where a good place to stop for an overninght?

Thoughts?
Old 06-Jul-2012, 07:52
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

Where to start? Choices are limitless.

Two days should easily see you there or three if you want to amble along and enjoy the countryside.

You could do it in one very long day but it is tiring and not much fun.

Where to stop? Depends on your route. If going through Switzerland then staying in Colmar and nearby is pleasant and there are some good picturesque surroundings. Hotels are easy enough to find and if you ask, they should give your secure parking. Another good place to stay if you want to get into Italy on the first night (or second night if you take it slower) is Como. Which then gives you a straight run down to Milan from where Mugello is a relatively easy ride.

Alternately you could head for Lyon and then hang left into Italy but this means going through some fairly mountainous passes (great fun but slow) or heading further South and getting onto the coastal autoroute to head into Genoa.

In each case head for Florence (Firenze) via the autostrada.
Old 06-Jul-2012, 16:04
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Good reply....

Halifax clarity credit card is currently fee FREE for use in Europe, worked a treat.

Italian service stations off the autoroutes are almost fully automated and hense, unattended frequently + they WONT accept UK credit cards , group I was with used a lot of cash up on them.

Wish I'd of known - seems it might be possible to buy a fuel card in the UK but I've had no need to investigate that now.

Post office / Mastercard apparently do a Pre-paid credit card, you choose how much to put on it before leaving home - interesting.

Good luck.
Old 10-Jul-2012, 12:14
GTL

I do Calais, Reim, Troyes, Dijon, Monte Blanc, Genoa. It seems to be the fastest but its beautiful too. The climb up to the tunnel is breathtaking. The mountains are still covered in snow. The French roads are great. Wide, empty. Its only when you cross over into Italy that you get plagued by idiots. 2 days is comfortable. I found a great place to stay on the last trip. Just south of Dijon, Comfort Hotel. Dijon Sud. It's basic, but clean and quiet - a short way out of town and in some fields. Parking for the bikes. It has the most superb oriental restaurant attached. A huge buffet for 12 euros, all you can eat. With oriental chefs standing by with their woks whilst you choose from the most amazing selection of EVERYTHING you can think of. They even do really fresh sushi. Quite a surprise. Have a great, safe trip.