Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Oct-2004, 00:07

Mood: Fire-damaged
Advice Please

To cut a long story short; some little **** set fire to my shed recently. Unfortunately my 750SS was parked next to it and was completely barbequed too
Thinking of getting a Monster this time (loved the 750SS and she was a real head-turner so sticking with Ducati).
But I'm undecided about which Monster to get: S4, 1000 or 800 (or 900/750 but want something quite new). There seem to be a lot of S4s about and they look tasty. How reliable are they and how much are they to service compared to, say, the 750/800? Also, how does the dry clutch 1000 compare to the wet clutch 800? Again, any reliability issues or higher servicing costs?
I love the air cooled bikes for looks/simplicity but you seem to get a lot of bike for your money with a used S4.
All comments welcome while I go mad trying to decide
Thanks,
Ian
Old 11-Oct-2004, 00:24
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Having had air and water cooled dukes my vote goes to the 1000ie. I'm sure the S4R is a nutty bike, but waterworks add unneccesary bulk and complexity to a bike that was always designed to be uncluttered.

The other thing is I've never heard a bad word said about the 1000 monster. A storming motor with plenty of spec for later tuning. I currently looking for one for my 900 Superlight.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up. And make sure the list fcukers that torched your shed get a decent pasting....

Ali
Old 11-Oct-2004, 00:30
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
put a deposit down on an S2R and buy something cheap to get you through the winter

the 1000 has been getting some very indifferent reviews in the biking press read the review in RIDE magazine this month and you'll see what i mean
Old 11-Oct-2004, 00:34
500SD

They are all good machines but obvious things with s4's are dearer to service and more to go wrong if you are unlucky. You takes your choice to what you want. They are all fun fun fun.
Old 11-Oct-2004, 00:43
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Had the M750ie (21 months & 16,000 miles) - now got M1000sie.
Have done a very happy 8 months and 4500 miles on the 1000 now - and has been a very reliable bike - just like the 750.

Both clutches great, tho some did tell me that I would need to put a bigger slave cyl to make it more 'user friendly. I didnt, and have not had any probs - except very occasionally in heavy heavy traffic, when it has become a little heavy.
Obviously, I have put an open clutch cover (and stainless springs) onto this bike - and just annoy people with the lovely rattle

If I persist in travelling a warp speeds, then I really ought to fit a steering damper, food for thought as Xmas pressie hubbie - if you are reading this

All 3 bikes will come up easily at the front - I found mine did quite happily when I first got it, but soon learnt how to keep her where she should be.

I have ridden the S4 & the S4R, but as Ali says, neither 'rocked my boat', mainly cos of the looks (I feel rads should be out of sight).
The S4 is quite 'grabby', wheres the 1000 is so much more smooth. The S4R is also a bit more harsh, tho not as much as the S4.

If you read a recent review on the Monster in More Cr*p than News, they will tell you to steer clear of the M1000 as it is shakey & underpowered - what a load of 'tosh' - they obviously didnt have a proper test ride.

2nd hand 1000's are going for about £5,500 ish, if you find one. New? - about £7 - or less, depending on year of stock at dealer.

Servicing costs, well its a bit early for me to say, but I'm told the cost will be about 5 - 8% higher, than that of the 750ie I had. The S4R & S4 are about 15 - 20% more than the 1000 for the major services.

Am sure someone will be along to tell you how great the S models are tho

Charlotte
Old 11-Oct-2004, 00:48
500SD

Everthing Charlotte says and servicing add £100.00 on top for watercooled servicing rather then aircooled.
Old 11-Oct-2004, 00:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel C
put a deposit down on an S2R and buy something cheap to get you through the winter

the 1000 has been getting some very indifferent reviews in the biking press read the review in RIDE magazine this month and you'll see what i mean

Have you ridden one Nigel?

Myths being perpetuated by journalists.

I have only found one 1000 rider that was disappointed so far - and he sold up & went back to a Jap bike, so says it all about him really.

If you ride a sportsbike like the 996/998/999 - you should enjoy the S4R/S4

The engine on the M1000 cant be that bad - its the SAME as the Multi strudle & SS

C
Old 11-Oct-2004, 00:52
500SD

1000 is Luvly. I like it. Want s2r with 1000 aircooled .
Old 11-Oct-2004, 08:19
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I borrowed a 1000 Monster from Italia while my bike was being serviced.I was well impressed.Yup its the same motor as the Multistuka,but feels more lively due to the differant gearing and lighter weight.
Well reccomended.
Old 12-Oct-2004, 01:14

Mood: Fire-damaged
Thanks everyone for your comments, very helpful and reasuring. I read the MCN article and, as with most of what they say, took it with a large pinch of salt; I remember one of the MCN editors saying a few weeks ago that the 1000 was the the best Monster.
So I guess I'll just look out for a suitable bike - 1000 or S4 over the next few weeks (when the insurance co pays out). I can always trade it in for an S2R later. Finding a 1000 might be the hard part, S4s are everywhere.
Cheers
Ian