Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jun-2005, 00:01

S4R Cat removal

Hello from a newby!
I took delivery of my new pride and joy S4R two weeks ago.
Already done 1500 miles and in process of fitting the usual bling.
Just done removal of Cat and fitting of Spareshack straight thro pipes.
Can anyone advise how this may effect engine mapping?
Am I risking running lean and hot, or am I just worrying to much!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-Jun-2005, 00:38
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Hi Youngduc,

I have the same colour s4r aint it a pain keeping the wheels clean

I would also like to know what effect your cat removal pipes has on the fuelling, how does it sound with standard cans?
Old 05-Jun-2005, 01:24

Hi Lee,

I hope you're as pleased with you new bike as I am with mine! After years of Japanese 4 cylinders Im a convert to all things twin Italian!!

You are certainly right in the white-wheel cleaning dept! Part of the price to pay I suppose! Doesn't help having a Scottoiler doing its upmost to make things worse!

Removal of the cat certainly makes a very positive difference to the sound, and also makes for a much free'r throttle response. Just a little concerned about the fuelling. I hope someone here may be able to advise.

Also just had to order from Spareshack a set of S.S. clutch springs. Found that originals started to show signs of rust soon after fitting open clutch cover. Not good having rusty bling!!

Also have fitted alternative clutch slave cylinder. Had to admit defeat in the limp-left-wrist dept around town! Beware of the low quality allen headed set screws. Couldnt believe it when I rounded off 2 out of three when removing! All replaced with good quality S.S. alternatives.

Cheers
Old 05-Jun-2005, 01:53
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
I am pleased after coming of a 748 i knew what to expect engine wise but obviuosly more tourque/power, but the comfort is way better.

I was going to get a slip on can (see my post s4r slip ons) but think the cat remover pipes maybe more worth while.

Had 50mm ti -termis on my 748s so want that sonud but be even deeper on the s4r

My springs are all brown to, i wonder if the clutch getting wet at work someitmes will do any damage, should i clean grease parts more?

I got used to the clutch now after 18 months on the 748

I was suprised to find a lot of my engine bolts are s/steel when the pics i seen showed them all to be that zinc colour, maybe they ran out and i got s/steel instead can u take a pic of yours to compare?
Old 06-Jun-2005, 10:38
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Hi mate

Are you running the standard ECU ? ..if so I would strongly advise changing it as I guess it wold run quite lean with the cat removal pipes and silencers.

I had a chat with a ferraci guy at world ducati week, just before I got mine, and he said its one of the few ducati models that runs quite lean anyway.

Cheers and congrats on a fine purchase (sod the white wheels, that colour scheme looks the dogs!!)...but may I recommend a steering damper ??! Even if you reside on the flattest area in the UK, you WILL need one at some stage I promise you !!!

Nat
Old 06-Jun-2005, 11:26

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the advice. Its appreciated. I am running the standard ECU. Ive kept the original silencers, but taken away the Cat. Looks like all the avice is pointing toward re-mapping! Now I need advice on how best to get that done!!

The steering damper is next on the shopping list. Put the bike through its paces yesterday to and from Croft. First real blast since its been run in!

Its white wheel cleaning time again. Met some real sh**y weather coming back over A66. The price we have to pay........!!

Cheers
Old 06-Jun-2005, 11:41
Ducati in my Blood

Id go for a PC3 (Power Commander). You can download a map to suit your standard cans, and then change it if you plan to get some silencers fitted. Be aware that your fuel consumption will take a hammering though (but what do we care - we only get 90 miles to a tank as it is )

Cheers
Nat
Old 06-Jun-2005, 21:12

My pride and joy!

made all the better for the aforementioned Spareshack straight thro pipes!!

All cleaned and shining again after yesterdays trip to Croft.

Graeme
Old 06-Jun-2005, 21:19
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Mine's has been catstrated as well, but I've also got the lowlevel termis - the sound is loud but wonderful!!! The chip has been changed as has the filter and this has resulted in an increase in power to a not too shappy 115. There is some drop-off at the top which could be cured by a Power comander but I'm not too worried. Best mods - 14T front sprocket - awesome!! and having suspension sorted. Top bike getting better with age.
Old 06-Jun-2005, 22:04
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by YoungDucS4R
My pride and joy!

made all the better for the aforementioned Spareshack straight thro pipes!!

All cleaned and shining again after yesterdays trip to Croft.

Graeme

Lovely...much shinier than Lees...