Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-May-2005, 11:22
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
600 supersport

would a 600 supersport be a good bike for my wife to be's first bike, she sat on one at my local dealer yesterday and found it quite comfy and about the right size. i know nothing about this ductai range so any help appreciated

its p reg,loos fairly clean but has been at the dealers for a fair while now i think and their asking £2299, a fair price or way over the top. i know them quite well so im sure i could it down to under the £2k barrier, buy or not to buy that is the question ????

cheers

dave
Old 08-May-2005, 11:41
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Hi Dave,
sounds a fair bit more than what most of the DD bikes were bought for (£1,000 to £1,500), although dealer warranty and decent service history (and the fact that most of those bikes were bought over the winter) could make up part of the difference.
You should do a deal for significantly less than 2k, otherwise walk away as you have loads of options (including my 600 bandit!)

Bear in mind that can also get a 900ss for the kind of money you are talking aout. Don't know the insurance differential but the physical size will be the same plus twin front discs, adjustable forks, etc. Unless you plan to turn it into a DD racer next year when she gets bored of it

cheers, Chi
Old 08-May-2005, 14:36
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Personally I reckon no. I don't know what the clutch is like on the 600s being wet and all but the lack of steering lock alone would put me off recommending it to a beginner. My car can turn in a smaller space than my SL.

It's not such an issue at speed but manoeuvring the bike at slow speed and parking can be a pig. Not what you need when you haven't got much confidence.

Price also seems high for what is after all an 8 year old bike. Buy something Japanese that doesn't require too much thought and effort to ride then once the confidence and ability is there....

Darren
Old 08-May-2005, 15:59
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
hi dave
i bought mine just before the winter it was up 2400 but after a bit of haggling i got it for 2100 and full service(belts and heads)six months tax and mot and warrenty, everything was fine with the bike chain/sprockets tyres batteryetc the dealer said he wanted to make room for some new stock!!! i think i got a good deal as i am having a lot of fun on it, i intend to keep the bike for a while
the power isnt mind blowing i would say fine for a first bike -- but as the fiscus fish says the slow speed handling isnt easy--town driving has been made easier adding a 14 tooth sprocket but the front end rises under hard acceleration(it didnt with15 teeth)-insurance wise i paid 106 fully comp
the only probs ive had is a carb icing -shell optimum and pro fst additive almost eradicated this --the carbs feel lumpy at low revs but have got use to this and working on an alternative to smooth things out- the mirrors give me a fine reflection of my elbows (but i am very broad built) brancato mirrior extensions have helped big time--i didnt find the riding position comfy at first but i after i relaxed into the bike i find 100 mile rides no problem
well thats my run down of my 600ss im not the fastest rider on the streets but i do have fun!!!
lets us know if you buy it
dave

[Edited on 8-5-2005 by monstermob 998]
Old 08-May-2005, 16:06
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Price wise quite a few of the DD'rs paid around the £2500 mark for our 620 injected models.

Mine was a 2003 Monsters 620ie, 10k miles on the clock and immaculate with brand new Diablo's on it. I paid £2550.

For me they are asking for way too much money - should be more around the £1500 mark which is what I was looking to pay for a similar bike.

Good luck.

[Edited on 8-5-2005 by TP]
Old 08-May-2005, 16:24
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
cheers guys, i thought it was way too pricey if im honest but being down this way theres not many dealers around so they have the market. im hoping they may knock it right down and service it as well as its been stood around for quite a while now so will need new belts i'd imagine???

i must admit to being well chuffed when she liked it as i can also use it for desmo due next year depending on how serious its getting/got. i havent paid much interest in the dd section since we worked out i couldnt afford it this year but if the fun element is still there next season i'd definetly be up for it

slow speed riding wont be too much of a issue as we havent got that many transport problems down here either so it will be mainly sunday rides for her on it

the insurance price was also another good reason for it, although it will be her first bike she's 32 now so age wont be a issue and its not exactly the most desirable ducati to theifs is it.
Old 14-May-2005, 23:33
Mille

just another thought, the single disc will keep the steering light. i converted my 600ss to twin disc and it made the front end noticably heavier, although it did look better
Old 17-May-2005, 21:58
Ducati Meccanica

just got her a few quotes for insuring it, very suprised with bennetts at £153 not bad for first time rider with noe experience or no bonus. ducati insurance wanted nearly £300

the dealer have told me i can have it for what it owes them plus a £100 as its been sat there for 6 months. what should i check on it before i buy it ???
Old 17-May-2005, 22:48
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
check everything you can as per buying any other bike, tyres, chain+ sprockets, check for leaks(oil and brake fluid),perished brake pipes, battery connections, condition of fairings and sidepanels etc,wiring -one key unlocks everything steering/ignition,petrol cap and seat lock-check clutch wear selection of neutral and all gears -choke and throttle operation -all lights and horn work ok- headstock bearings-- fork seals(prone to leaking) clocks work as they should-brake fluid should be new not black- oil level sight is on right side of engine casing
check rear shock for oil leaks and bushes should be checked-swing arm bearings --get the dealer to show you how to lift tank and remove the pillion seat cover --when you start it just put the choke on and push the button dont touch the throttle cos it wont start!(found this out the hard way!!)

er cant think of anything else right now-- i bought mine knowing nothing about ducatis i just gave it a general check over like the above list and parted with the cash and aint looked back yet!!

good luck
Old 19-May-2005, 07:47
Mille

also check the crankcases are not leaking underneath on to the exhaust. getting my bike ready after winter and after starting it up smoke started rising through the fairing. it wasnt much just a few drops on the pipe, someone i know with a 750ss has had the same problem but it seemed to go away after a good ride, i put down to it standing for 4 months (could be wrong). could be bartering ammo!