Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Nov-2003, 21:17
Mille

Mood: It's raining, Winters coming...
Suspension settings

Hi Again

Another of the things I am trying to get sorted on my bike.

I have a '93 888 strada as as previously discussed it seems these are basically a 851 with a 2mm overbore. this I presume would mean my Showa suspension is the same as the 851 as well.

I am having a hell of a job getting my suspension set up, the previous owner was about 30 kg heavier than me and used the bike mainly on the track.
I am 73kg and around where I am the roads are a variation of A and b roads. Unfortunately I have to go over a fair bit of B road surface to get to the good A road stuff.

I was wondering if anyone knew what their settings were front and/or rear if they were in a similiar weight range to me could they pass them on. For various reasons like location, availability and price, changing the springs is not currently an option.

I know very little about suspension so am looking for all the advice I can get.
Old 23-Nov-2003, 22:06
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Eddie,

A bit off topic but if you're still looking for KM speedos there are at least 3 on Ebay at the moment. I have tried to mail you the Gymnast Mpeg but your hotmail account rejected it. I'll send you the standard 888 settings in the morning.

Rgds,

Rob
Old 24-Nov-2003, 07:18
Mille

Hi Rob

As it turned out I managed to get the bike MOT'd here without the need to change the speedo. It seems the information I got was wrong and as a MPH speedo is what the bike was manufactured with it is ok.

I tried downloading the mpg again but no joy, it gets to about 100 k then stops. When i view the file it opens but is obviously not big enough to see anything, looks like I'll never see what all the fuss was about. Unless your able to send it to edwardbrodie@paradise.net.nz?
Old 24-Nov-2003, 09:41
Ducati Meccanica

At the front the standard settings are comp 6th & rebound 4th position from full hard, e.g. anticlockwise.

front preload is set at 18mm measured between the top faces of the two hex nuts on the to of the stanchion.

At the moment I can't find the standard rear info.

I'll look later.

Rgds,

Rob
Old 24-Nov-2003, 21:10
Mille

Thanks Rob

I have the factory settings for the front, Ducati don't seem to specify anything for the rear.
I've tried those settings and it's still way too hard, sorry should have specified that first.
Old 30-Nov-2003, 08:01
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Rear suspension settings.

If my memory serves me correctly the rear damping adjusters were set in the middle of their adjustment range when they came out of the factory.
I assume you have set the sag to your weight?Dukes are traditionally oversprung and under damped,so it might be you need lighter springs.Hyperpro used to do a spring kit for both front and rear.
Old 30-Nov-2003, 09:00
Ducati Meccanica

Hyperpro still do em. I was chatting to HP re another bike issue and I have the part numbers and UK prices if you're interested.

Rgds,

Rob
Old 02-Dec-2003, 06:28
Mille

I can't afford new springs at present, the NZ dollar is only worth about 32 p or something so from here it costs a fortune.

Plus I've only just paid for my 250 Mark 3 last week and am saving for the big valve clearances and new belts service due on the 888 around Christmas.
Old 17-Dec-2003, 22:46
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
888 Suspension settings

I've had the 888 for 18 months and have only just played around with the front settings as the rear seems ok 2up.
i used settings found in a road test in Performance Portfolio 851/888 by Brooklands Books.
This book is an absolute must for xmas!
anyway ive set the front 8 clicks out from base on both rebound and damping and find it much better far less chatter over small bumps.