Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jan-2006, 22:41
500SD

888 Handling

Hi guys n gals

The sun came out to play today, so I dropped everything and took my Strada out of hibernation. Fitted its battery, pressed the button and.. wahey! Started first time!

Anyway, having not ridden the bike for three months or more, I'd covered only a short distance before my wrists were feeling the strain. For some reason, when cornering even gently on this bike, the 'bars need to be wrestled. It feels a bit like it's oversteering really: ie when cornering left, the left grip pushes hard into my palm, and I have to fight to countersteer it. The same happens on right-handers, when the 'bars push hard to the right. Corners are bl**dy hard work, since I've to keep my arms absolutely solid.

Now, I don't get this on my SP (which has very light/neutral steering, and needs no wrestling whatever) so what's the cause? What needs adjusting on the Strada? How much have the tyres to do with this? The SP has Diablos, whilst the Strada has Metzeler (Metz4).

I've tried 'fiddling' with pre-load/damping etc., but can't seem to 'dial it out'. Before I change the (perfectly decent) tyres in sheer frustration, does anyone have any other ideas?

Cheers
Steve

ps. The bike tracks perfectly straight when not being leaned over!
Old 21-Jan-2006, 22:59
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Steve

What tyre pressures are you using?

Phil
Old 22-Jan-2006, 00:31
500SD

Hi Phil

I'm using the recommended 32/36lb pressures. I can aleviate the symptoms by increasing the front tyre pressure a little - and thus reducing tyre scrub - or increasing the fork pre-load, but it doesn't really solve the problem. It's even noticeable when pushing the bike around the garage. The Strada seems to need loads more effort to turn.

I suppose if I didn't have the other bike to compare it with, I'd 'adapt' to its handling, and think it was normal - but it's not. It's way too heavy. I'm always knackered after a long ride.
Old 22-Jan-2006, 00:45
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Are the suspension settings the same on both bikes?
Old 22-Jan-2006, 01:29
500SD

It's hard to compare settings Phil. The SP has Ohlins F/R, whereas the Strada has Showas. The Ohlins' have much more adjustability. Fork geometry is slightly different too, since the trail is reduced on the SP.

I don't really expect to get the Strada to steer as quickly as the SP, but I'd like it to be fairly neutral at least. The way it is just wears me out. I'll not spend another summer season fighting with the thing though. One way or another, I'll have to sort it.
Old 22-Jan-2006, 01:51
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
rather than go to the expense of new tyres on a hunch, just swap the wheels between the strada and sp, that will tell you if it's tyres. my guess is your steering head bearings are too tight. that, or your fork legs are too far through. a mate has a strada and we swapped for a ride, his forks are through about 20mm (mine are 12mm) and his felt heavier to ride and felt like it was going to tuck in low speed corners. he changed it to 12mm like mine and it feels heaps better.
Old 22-Jan-2006, 11:25
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Jack the front up and check that everything is as free as it should be. Steering head bearings, no dragging brake lines or stuck pistons in the calipers etc, etc.
Old 23-Jan-2006, 17:40
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
I'd second the wheel swap if you can.
I've got Bridgestone 010s on my 888 and Supercorsas on my '92 851. The profile of the rear 010 is much fatter and flatter than the Pirelli and it does seem to make it turn more slowly at medium speeds.
Both bikes have identical geometry, ride height, preload etc

Good luck, Paul

[Edited on 23-1-2006 by paynep]
Old 23-Jan-2006, 18:20
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Ooooo Metzeler MEZ4's

'orrible tyres, do what everyone else suggests then treat it to a set of Diablos