Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Nov-2003, 22:40
500SD

rear shock removal, advice needed

my rear shock is in a bit of a state (i know, shocking aint it) groan... anyway, its got some stone chips on the spring etc and i want to take it off a give it a good ol clean up, is it difficult to remove/refit taking into account my "limited" spannering capabilities ?
Old 12-Nov-2003, 22:58
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Probably not an easy job.....

......for someone of "limited spannering capability".

It involves messing with the swingarm etc, not very difficult, but you'll need to support / lift the back of the bike etc....so unless you fancy a challenge!

If you haven't already, get yourself a Haynes manual and check out the process there.

Tim
Old 15-Nov-2003, 21:42

Mood: Missing Summer
I did the same job (well, replaced shock) today and start to finish took <1hr. And i am mechanically inept.

Once i'd got the back of the bike up (cant use paddock stand as you need to unload the shock, so went for an abba stand, but see my thread re: raising the rear a few threads down) i found it quite a simple spannering job.

You can get to the lower shock pivot bolt with the chain guard in place, but i took mine off and gave it a clean anyway. You also need to remove the LHS heel plate.

Remove the rear wheel.

Undo the top pivot bolt with an 8mm hex and remove (watch you dont lose the nut on the other end.
The swingarm will now drop, but have hold of it and you'll be OK. At this point i chucked my paddock stand back in. to support the swingarm.

Undo lower pivot bolt and remove (ditto the nut). Take out shock.

Simple. Refitting is reversed, just make sure the flat of the nut sits against the flat on swingarm. I tightened to 50nm and put a blob of yellow marker to be able to check for loosening.

My 748 now has a nice Ohlins instead of that Sachs thing.....

BTW Abba stands at NEC for £85 with fitting kit.