Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Oct-2003, 16:27

loose rear sprocket

Just noticed my rear sprocket has a lot of movement side to side, Anyone know what the cause of this is.(97- 748 sp)

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by redsp]
Old 30-Oct-2003, 16:36
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Worn cush drives I reckon!!

Old 30-Oct-2003, 17:54

cheked the the cush drives they look fairly new,no sign of wear, the side to side movement is just the same with them removed...
Old 30-Oct-2003, 22:19
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
There's a large circlip on the sprocket carrier assembly. These have been known to wear the groove in which they sit, giving play in the whole assembly.
You'll need to pull the sprocket carrier off to check it.
Old 30-Oct-2003, 22:22
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Sounds to me like you need a Bucci quickchange sprocket carrier, including new cush drives. 38,40 tooth rear sprockets and a gold ERV2 chain, all done 1000 miles. gis an offer?
Old 31-Oct-2003, 19:09

Had exactly the same problem on my 998 Bostrum rep. Bike was towed to Pegasus Reading who stripped it down and put it back together again. When I got the bike back I checked the sprocket only to find it was still loose.

Pegasus tried to charge me 50 odd quid for their trouble, I tried to tell them that surely it was a warranty claim but they wouldnt have any of it so I got on to Ducati UK who also said that it wasnt covered under warranty. After lots of arguing and me pointing out that I had bought 4 brand new Ducatis over the past 3 years they agreed to waive the £50 but its left a sour taste in my mouth.

Ducati london South have said that the sprocket is OK sinse its been looked at by Pagasus. I'll have it looked at again when the bike goes in for its annual service in Feb. Lets hope it doesnt let go in the meantime causing a rear wheel lock up !

Wadd