Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 31-Mar-2009, 01:44
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
#34 Virgin race report ( long but with pics )

There goes my Racing Cherry.
NickB and I arrived at Donington Circuit around 5:30, parked up and offloaded the bike straight away. Not being the early bird as some of you will know I wanted to get the bike scruitineered that night to save me getting out of bed early in the morning. No problems there and then straight on to signing in.
So much for the not getting up early as I was so nervous ( plus I really needed a wiz ) I was up at 7 ish. The day was cold, grey, wet, sleeting, windy you name it we had it. As the time came near to qualify the weather had stayed stable and dry thankfully. I made my way up to pit 1 to make our entry out onto the track, at this point it really felt a bit like a track day but as soon as the wave forward came everyone shot off like it was the race. Couldn’t believe the speed the pack went off down the pit lane, I had trouble keeping up before getting on the track. “ What had I let myself in for”
The qualifying went with any hitches, the bike felt good but I had no idea how I had done other than relived that I kept it the right side up.
Surprise was an understatement when I found I had qualified 19th ( class A & B inc ) with a 2:08. Well chuffed.
Race 1. Gulp: Weirdest feeling coming out of pit one and turning right to go through the gate onto the track rather than going down the pit lane. Found my position on the grid by remembering Senna was on my left in front of me. Then s&%t, I forgot to ask Nick if there was a warm up lap or was this the start of the race. So I dropped down and started blipping the throttle but soon figured out that as we were waved on rather than the lights there was a warm up lap. One time round and back on the spot, and this really was the real deal now. Lights out and I’m off and pulling through the pack and manage to keep out of the carnage going round the corner. I soon passed by some of the riders I got away from at the start and I forget all about my beating heart and nerves as I concentrate on the race. Still really scary with the speeds and closeness of it all plus people doing some grass tracking and the best endo I ever did see by white wizard coming into Melbourne Hairpin. Nice one M8
What a great feeling coming through that chequered flag for the first time in a race even if I was far from the front, even better smile to my face as the marshals near the Melbourne Loop were all clapping for us and I gave the racers wave back to them. But the proudest moment was seeing My Wife and two Sons behind the fence waving and clapping franticly. Nearly did a man cry behind my helmet. Result 21st and so pleased with that on my first Race.

I spent Saturday night in the great company of NickB and Tonio where we had a beer and banter and then settled down for the night in the nice warm van as Tonio set off for his Igloo in the camping grounds. Brrrrrrrrr
Sunday morning kip was disturbed by “ Attention pits, Attentions Pits” blasting over the speakers. Sod that, and I managed to stay tucked in the duvet until 10:30. Amazing to pull back the van door and to be met with blazing warm sunshine. Bring it on..
Really boring morning waiting around for race two but helped by watching some of the great sidecar action and Trudi getting us all together for the raffle and cake. Yummy J
Back on the grid again and I’m still wanting a wiz ( must have had 50 + that day ) Kev (Sena) was trying to confuse me by being in the wrong spot and then backing up, lights out and we are off again charging into Redgate. I really tried harder this time and that showed as I made a couple of **** ups pushing too hard but watching the winner lap me on the last lap was a downer. Jes you front runners carry some scary speed round the corners.
Result: 23rd best lap 2:10. Disappointed with that to be honest. How the hell did I lose 2 secs from race one in the cold horrible weather and I felt I was going faster and harder???? But I had finished the race and that mattered to go into round two with a positive.

Yea he’s lapping me.
Regrets:
Not meeting enough riders, I must make the effort to go and introduce myself next round, or come by my van ( white Ivco with number 34 on the front and back ) and say hello or grab a coffee/beer.

Nick B ( Ex #34 ) for being my pit bitch, doing the washing up J and showing me the ropes.
Pete B for working on the bike
Trudi for being rider’s rep getting us together and yummy cake.
Skids for the weigh-in and again getting us all together.
Tonio for the company
Gordon for the photos
Topitoo for the graphics
Everyone that sent me good luck messages.

Am I going to do it again? Oh yes, see you there.

Craig / Gbyte666 #34

Last edited by Gbyte666 : 31-Mar-2009 at 02:05.
Old 31-Mar-2009, 09:19
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Nice one Craig,

Well done on your first race results. The stand out thing for me is that you're really enjoying it, taking a step back and appreciating your efforts for where you're at in the racing game. It's great to have the love and support of family at a meeting as well, makes it doubly worth while when you do ok, 'cos they put up with a lot for this lark, don't they!

It's SOOOOO important not to get too wrapped up in it all at this stage, and ever if you can manage that!

That's a cracking photo (Nice one Gordon, what camera was it?) all I could think as I decided to pass you there was "Don't move, Craig!"

Come say hi at Anglesey mate.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 31-Mar-2009, 09:55
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Well done Craig, good first outing.

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders
Old 31-Mar-2009, 10:45
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Top work fella - great to see you out there...
Old 31-Mar-2009, 11:05
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip

Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Well done Craig, best of the luck for rest of the season.

Regards.
Old 31-Mar-2009, 12:23
Mille

Mood: elated
Smile great write up

well done craig, great to see someone as enthuised as i was, pity i couldn't match your results. An extreme diet is in order for both the bike and me. I reckon i,m losing out to some riders to the tune of 80Kg to some riders
(combined rider and bike weight difference), without considering the power output of the bike! and i really need to sort out a smaller pitch chain and get a few sprockets, Dave Nicholson helped me with a smaller front for race two as i was running a woeful 15/41 combination for qualy and race one. Thanks again Nog!!.
Old 31-Mar-2009, 14:40
GTL

Mood: ten, nine, eight oh bu**er lets go!
Smile Great write up +1

Your enthusiasm comes through in the report really pleased you enjoyed it so much, keep on the race diet though