Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Apr-2006, 16:25

S4R Ignition Coils.....

My 10 month old pride and joy S4R has been off the raod for over a week now having had to be recovered to main dealers because of failure of the front cylinder ignition coil (the thing that looks like a fancy HT cap!)

Im told by main dealers that this is a very rare occurance. Am I just unlucky, or is there in fact a history of such failures? The symptoms were a sudden and dramatic misfire on front cylinder after covering around five miles.
It was obviously a coil fault as swapping them around also migrated the problem.

Luckily it was covered under waranty as Im told the cost of a replacement is around £114.00!! but to be honest I'd rather purchase a spare than do without bike for a week again, or worst still, be stuck with a single cylinder bike miles from anywhere!!

G.
Old 11-Apr-2006, 17:45
GTL

Cant say that i have ever heard of it on the S4/S4r type coils-unlike the 749/999 ones which seem quite common
Old 11-Apr-2006, 20:27
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
I have ridden mine in all weathers and no probs yet, i found it quite wierd seeing a little thin wire coming out of the cap looked real fragile unlike the usual thick h.t leads u used to get.

Still when i wash it i dont go careful over it really either as the spray of front wheel will ruin it if it does get in there
Old 12-Apr-2006, 16:38

I too have used the bike in all types of inclement weather. Covered 10,000 miles since buying it last May.
Also use pressure washer for cleaning off the crud! Its the only way!

Outwardly the coil/cap looked fine which would indicate that it wasn't a case of HT tracking to cylinder head, but would more suggest a breakdown of windings.

Hopefully I wont be unlucky enough for this to happen a second time. Unless anyone knows better.....................

G.
Old 12-Apr-2006, 16:48
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
The S4 coils are very similar to those found on R6 Yamahas and various other Japanese bikes from about 1998 onwards.
I have picked up a couple of sets from breakers and auto jumbles for as little as £10 a set of four.
They vary in lenghth a bit depending on which model they were meant for, may be worth looking into. they all use the same connector from what I have seen which is a 2 pin jobbie and different to the coils and connectors found on 749/999s
Old 12-Apr-2006, 18:52
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Quote:
Originally posted by YoungDucS4R
I too have used the bike in all types of inclement weather. Covered 10,000 miles since buying it last May.
Also use pressure washer for cleaning off the crud! Its the only way!

Outwardly the coil/cap looked fine which would indicate that it wasn't a case of HT tracking to cylinder head, but would more suggest a breakdown of windings.

Hopefully I wont be unlucky enough for this to happen a second time. Unless anyone knows better.....................

G.

Ive only done about 2700 so not many miles maybe mine will go to later, and i only clean it with a cloth/sponge.

I would imagine a pressure washer be bit much on bits like that unless its on a really low setting i guess

Or might be just a duff coil

[Edited on 12-4-2006 by Lee1980]
Old 13-Apr-2006, 08:24

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
The S4 coils are very similar to those found on R6 Yamahas and various other Japanese bikes from about 1998 onwards.
I have picked up a couple of sets from breakers and auto jumbles for as little as £10 a set of four.
They vary in lenghth a bit depending on which model they were meant for, may be worth looking into. they all use the same connector from what I have seen which is a 2 pin jobbie and different to the coils and connectors found on 749/999s

I did find some on Ebay for 20.00 from a Kawasaki ZX9R. They outwardly look identical. The first few numbers stamped on top were the same, but the last 4 were different. Do you think its worth giving them a try?

G.