Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Jun-2003, 00:08
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Starter motors / crankcase & Haynes !!!!!

Grrrr....It looks like the brushes on my (t)rusty 900ss starter motor have finally given up the ghost, at least it does not entail a new motor at £200+ (yes, really)just a £30 rebuild.

However, I nearly did some damage trying to remove the left hand crankcase cover. After being really pleased at making my own 'puller' (read, drilled plate and a 16mm socket) I manged to get the cover to start to move but that was it. Got out my trusty soft hammer and started tapping around for all I'm worth....

still no go !!!

(the crankcase has a bearing built into the casing that the end of the crankshaft sits in - hense the need for a puller).

I was starting to lose my rag abit when I looked again in the Haynes manual "Ensure all the holding screws are removed" - now I think Haynes manuals are truely brill but....WHY DIDNT THEY MENTION THE SCREW BEHIND THE CLUTCH RUBBER BOOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or even just say - for the 92/93 year models 13 allen bolts (****13****) need to be removed from the crankcase.

Rubber boot and screw removed - case almost flew off an its own.

Hopefully back on the road soon.

NB - It is not listed in the manual but the Starter unit fitted to my bike is a Nipon Denso unit bearing the numbers:

270 4001 1A

128000 6050

ND 12V

ps - Also, be VERY careful with the sidestand switch !!!

Regards - Frank

[Edited on 10-6-2003 by Iconic944ss]