Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-May-2004, 12:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Advice please: buying a superlight

Hi,

I'm making my way back to the fold after foolishly selling my old 916bp and 900ss a few years ago. In a desperate bid to regain my youth I'm after a 900 2v, preferably an SL. Any advice on the ins and outs of each model would be appreciated, as would the name of a really good mechanic to help my bring whatever I buy up to scratch! I'm out near watford but, like most duke owners, would travel for the right mechanic.

Many thanks for any help,

Ali

Must....buy...ducati...........
Old 08-May-2004, 12:34

Mood: Totally frantic!!!
I'm in Shropshire which is a bit far for you to travel I Know, but the guy who's worked on my bike is Tony Dawson (U K Racing). He raced Dukes for years and had a guy riding for him in the Supersport series last couple of years. He is sh*t hot on everything Ducati, the dogs dangly bits. He's now opening a Ducati Store in the West Midlands after being an independant for a long time. Definitely worth travelling to but he's always busy and very much in demand.
Old 08-May-2004, 13:52
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Welcome Ali!
the 2Vs are like buses - none for ages and then 3 of them show up (search on www.biketrader.co.uk - there are even 2 900SE FE's for under £3k!)

There are a few carby 900 owners on the board who can tell you their buying experiences - my main piece of advice is to get the engine checked out!

As for mechanics, I am using Neil (Nelly on the board) @ cornerspeed. I am in London, he is in Nottingham - nuff said....

good luck with the search!

cheers, Chi
Old 08-May-2004, 22:12
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
SL

Hi
I bought a nice little 750cc SL replica white frame/wheels last year for £2000 but wrecked it.
Replaced with 95 Yellow SL for £2500 from a dealer in Havant.
I looked at several private bikes the worst was one in the Mcn advertised as mint with fsh etc.
phoned and got pics back checked everything over the phone guy seemed genuine etc,took a van as it seemed just what I was after.
the fsh amounted to the warranty service and no reciepts for any other work the oil hadnt been changed for 5000 miles even though it had been to 3 track days and spaned 2 years.
I took it for a spin and was a real dog,he hadnt even bothered to clean it.
it just proves that even duc owners can totally neglect their bikes.
make sure you take a sane level headed mate with you to knock your rose tinted glasses off.
it is so easy to by a dog after youve travelled 100 odd miles for nothing and you think this might be the last time you see what your after.
be patient and the right bike will come along.
good hunting
ps i think the SLs look best in yellow
Old 08-May-2004, 23:22
Mille

Mood: All SP'ed up at the moment
I looked at a few bikes before buying mine, always look for some kind of history along with receipts for money spent, make sure you get the standard cans if others are fitted so MOT`s are not a pain. When I was looking SL`s were few and far between but as soon as I bought they came out of the woodwork so be patient.
I paid slightly over the odds for mine but ended up with a mint low mileage bike that I would never part with, check out the pics the the photo section
Cheers
Ian
Old 09-May-2004, 12:45
Ducati Meccanica

Huge thanks one and all for the advice. I'll keep checking autotrader and hang in there for a good'un. Almost tempted by an FE but they're, well, silver..... ??? Ducati base the whole of their brand on red and then release the final edition in silver??? And am I mistaken, or did they do the same with the 916 (matrix edition in dark green)??

I'd have thought that they'd do much better releasing their final editions in red with some nice ohlins suspendies and trick marchenesi wheels.

900SLV: Are those standard pipes or standard looking obscenely loud pipes?? I'd really like a stainless system with alloy sleeved cans but running the same height as yours. Know if anyone does a system like that?

Anyway, thanks all and have fun. I'll keep my fingers crossed for sunshine.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 09-May-2004, 15:05
Mille

Mood: All SP'ed up at the moment
Ali
My pipes are standard but have had the internals modified to make them nice and loud, just like a duke should sound

Good luck in the search, they do come up on Ebay from time to time

Ian
Old 09-May-2004, 17:36
Ducati Meccanica

I've seen them on ebay, and missed out on that last, heavily modified, one a few weeks back. Arse. I hear from the new owner that all's good and it really was a bargain..... Funny how that seems to happen to other people!

Did you mod the pipes yourself? If so, could I tax you for info how?

Cheers,

Ali
Old 09-May-2004, 19:53
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
I agree the FE didn't have as many goodies as expected for the final fling, but still probably the best of the breed.

They will be the lastest SL you will be able to buy and (as a final edition) more likely to have been looked after - I was looking for one of these until my one came along.

As for the colour, I like the silver - although I am slightly biased (see pics on SS board!)...

cheers, Chi
Old 09-May-2004, 22:26
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
SL

Ali
theres a 92 SL on the internet bike trader
£2550 looks like the MK1 with Marvic wheels white frame.
5000 miles near me if you want me to take a gander for you let me know.
ian