Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Mar-2005, 22:24
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by HW

........it is also a legal requirement to have the dealer name across the bottom of it.

the legal requirement is to have the vendor of the number plates company name on it - this has been in effect from January 2003.

eg, buy a replacement plate from halfrauds, and you have to have the 'Halfrauds' name on the, likewise from any other place you get a replacement done at.

so, anyone with a Jan 03 bike/car onwards (the latter part of the '52 plates) MUST have a plate makers name on it, whether 'DucatiCentral' or other.

Lots of rather 'well trained' traffic police in our area are picking up on this now, so do be careful if you have a newish vehicle/bike & change the plate - its a good starting point for the boys in blue.

AK, who makes number plates as part of his job

[Edited on 3-3-2005 by CK and AK]
Old 03-Mar-2005, 22:32
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Quote:
Originally posted by HW
Hell, that took some finding again!

http://www.autoreg.net/

I had a 7x5 carbon plate from them, which was quite a think chunk of carbon. You get the carbon showing through the numbers and around the edge (the yellow covering is just cut away to reveal what is underneath it).

(hope that wasn't stating the obvious)

Henry

Henry, dropped autoreg an email last night about a carbon plate, but sadly they have sopped making them!
Old 03-Mar-2005, 23:01
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
What is the law on indicators?
Suppose I will have to get a bigger plate this year
Old 04-Mar-2005, 00:00
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by jobr
Quote:
Originally posted by HW
Hell, that took some finding again!

http://www.autoreg.net/

I had a 7x5 carbon plate from them, which was quite a think chunk of carbon. You get the carbon showing through the numbers and around the edge (the yellow covering is just cut away to reveal what is underneath it).

(hope that wasn't stating the obvious)

Henry

Henry, dropped autoreg an email last night about a carbon plate, but sadly they have sopped making them!

Damn! And I was going to get a replacement one. Mine has the two top corners ripped off when it got caught on the wheel. The trouble with that Evolutione plate relocator is that the bit that holds the plate bracket is somewhat flimsy. Mine has been bent back into place after getting caught so many times I am wondering when it will work harden and break. THEN I'll be in trouble because the plate will just fall off somewhere on the road. What I liked about the 7" wide plate was that it was the same width as the rear of the bike (on 749), so it looked really neat from behind. The std plate sticks way out. But you knew that!

Henry
Old 04-Mar-2005, 12:36
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Quote:
so, anyone with a Jan 03 bike/car onwards (the latter part of the '52 plates) MUST have a plate makers name on it, whether 'DucatiCentral' or other.

This actually came in to effect from September 2001 so from 51 reg onwards plates should comply with these regs.....
Click here.........

Hope this helps

Andy

Old 04-Mar-2005, 13:13
Big Twin

Does that mean I can comply with the law by putting my own name on it then if I made it myself (or had it made ... I could SAY I made it myself)?

In reality, as I now have a Termi exhaust and make lots of noise, and also have a dark visor, I would not want to draw any more attention to myself than necessary with a small plate. Just asking for trouble.

Henry
Old 04-Mar-2005, 13:32
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
No...there is a register of authorised plate manufacturers and producers and the name and postcode on the plate must be one of those companies otherwise the plate will not conform to the regs.
Of course,that would have to be checked up on if you got stopped but you have to ask whether it's worth the potential hassle.
Old 04-Mar-2005, 14:16
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Rushjob
No...there is a register of authorised plate manufacturers and producers and the name and postcode on the plate must be one of those companies otherwise the plate will not conform to the regs.
Of course,that would have to be checked up on if you got stopped but you have to ask whether it's worth the potential hassle.

I couldn't see where the regs said it should have the name of the manufacturer in plain visible sight on the same side as the numbers, so there could be the smallest of loopholes there where you could have the name of the manufacturer on the dark side of the plate!?!?