Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Mar-2005, 12:12
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Revdecal.....bike looks lovely in gloss black. Any more piccies??
Old 13-Mar-2005, 10:37
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by HW
Right, well I at least got the nose fairling off. The Race Products replacement would be a lot happier if it was going onto a race bracket, but in light of the fact that it's a "one way trip", I am definately not going to do that. I know I could change it back, but if it's not "easy" then it would sit in my garage for weeks while I get around to it. Not so good.

The stuff that gets in the way of the race products nose fairing is the top headlight housing. If you push and shove it does kind of coform to the various gubbins, but the sides have to be bent down to fit against the mirror mounting brackets. I can then just about get the bottom mounting point back far enough to be in the right place.

Question: Besides the obvious of trasmitting any shock straight into the headlight unit (risk I shall have to take), is there any argument against having it under tension like that? It might even end up tipped further forwards and down than the original in fact, as it does sit as high on the mirror brackets.

I'd be tempted to tape up any areas which are in contact between headlamp and fairing, obviously these will rub together through vibration and eventually remove paint etc.
Old 13-Mar-2005, 11:02
GTL

Mood: Busy, Busy...Busy!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wylie1
Revdecal.....bike looks lovely in gloss black. Any more piccies??

send you some on Monday mate when im at the unit.

Thanks for that though!
Old 13-Mar-2005, 12:26
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by jpmercer

I'd be tempted to tape up any areas which are in contact between headlamp and fairing, obviously these will rub together through vibration and eventually remove paint etc.

I thought that too ... I am going to glue some thin rubber on the inside of the fairing where it touches.

I realised that once the screen is on there is no way on earth the nose fairing is going to bend that much. I can get the bottom (back) mounting to line up, I think, so that the side panels should attach OK. The mounting point that would be the mirror on the std fairing will not reach, so as a temporary measure some bodged extension might be needed and if that works out OK then I shall make some new brackets to go from the headlight across to the mirror position (like the race bracket). It loks ike they detach from the headlight so not a big deal. The top edge of the screen might end up a couple of inches higher than normal, but hopefully that will not have too much of an affect on it.
Old 21-Mar-2005, 00:16
Big Twin

Thanks to all who tok the time to read and/or advise. I have got the thing fitted and it's all ready for Cadwell. I did end up splitting the belly pan down the middle though, and re-glassing it a bit wider to fit around the battery carrier. I also had to cut a slot in it to allow the rear pipe some room. Just as well I don't need the oil catching properties of the belly pan for track days!

I'll be the 749 with the ghostly white unpainted fairing and the red tank on Good Friday at Cadwell.

Cheers
Henry