Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Sep-2005, 14:03
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
No chance of warranty unless you can prove a manufacturing defect or that it was not joined correctly. Chains can be subject to all sorts of punishment, wheelies, stretched and loaded from landing jumps, incorrectly cleaned using wrong lube or solvents which damage them etc etc.

waranty doesnt specifically list chains but does state items subject to wear are excluded so that would mean a chain isnt covered.

Liked the pic's of the lakes trip. It must have been some day with all those Duc's. Again, it's worth moving back to Blighty just to meet up with you all.

Was going to ask how you got them presented like that on your website but then I saw the Apple logo, say no more. In my next life I'm coming back with an Apple
Old 13-Sep-2005, 14:05
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
If i was looking to make a warranty claim, id delete this thread. They do read this u know.............
Old 13-Sep-2005, 14:59
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by guest1
Shouldn't imagine there should be any major user intervention in respect of chain maintenance other than check and lube.
Check your user manual that came with the bike - it tells you to only let the dealer adjust your chain, so if it was done at service it was maintained according to manufacturer requirement?

I'll bet theres a line in there saying check it more regualrly than every 6000 miles and if it needs adjusting take it back to the dealer. The manual has diagrams to show you how to measure chain slack but does not explain how to adjust it.....
Any chain would need adjusting in 6000 miles so it'll be an easy check by DUK to see that it wasn't done by a dealer if not no warranty
Old 13-Sep-2005, 15:11
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
If i was looking to make a warranty claim, id delete this thread. They do read this u know.............
fair point but i've nothing to hide!

yes bike has been ridden hard but only what its designed to do! it is a 'superbike' after all!

Bike has been main dealer serviced from new (1st and 1st annual) and had its first annual service around June (Less than 1k miles ago).

Chain has been oiled regularly with scott oil, never let it dry.
Has not had to be adjusted for several months.

Chain has not failed on softlink, the link it failed has a clean break in the middle of the link!

[Edited on 14-9-2005 by chillo]
Old 13-Sep-2005, 16:41
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
So it didn't fail on a jointed part, the metal dog-bone shape snapped???

You must have a case then as poor maintenance won't affect that part unless it rusted through????
Old 13-Sep-2005, 16:58
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by chillo

yes bike has been ridden hard but only what its designed to do! it is a 'superbike' after all!

Chain has not failed on softlink, the link it failed has a clean break in the middle of the link!

Intended use is always a difficult one, I'm currently re wording our warranty booklet for mountain bikes and its difficult to clearly state what is considered normal use and what isn't, you can't cover every eventuality. Typically you'll find that any modifications to your bike will invalidate the warranty as well so any increases in power output etc could be considered to have impacted on the chain. If the link broke in middle it doesn't mean its a manufacturing fault, the link could have been stretched by the increase in chain tension after landing a jump or from hard acceleration on a track neither of which might be considered normal.

Its a very grey area but maybe DUK will be willing to help if they are reading......
Old 13-Sep-2005, 17:03
GTL

did you sign your warranty booklet when you bought your bike? if so you agreed to the conditions and in my booklet final drive is excluded from warranty
Old 13-Sep-2005, 17:12
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
What a bummer mate All i can say is good luck with the claim.
Old 13-Sep-2005, 17:14
888 at Last !!!

You sure have had some bad luck with this bike chillo. My sympathies. Hope it's sorted soon.

Looking on the bright side, it could have snapped at the beginning of the summer!
Old 13-Sep-2005, 17:29
500SD

Mood: head down
i had the same problem last year on the 999s i had 13000km and a 03 model - took out the engine case and the swingarm and it was fixed under garantee ....