Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Oct-2004, 10:58
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Yeah and I mean, who needs 100hp+ horsepower. I'd be happy with 95 at the rear wheel.....

Darren
Old 05-Oct-2004, 14:20
500SD
Bikes: Diavel

I was talking to the guy who owns this place in Assen at WSB, eventually he agreed to fix a 900ss we had with us that was down to running on 1 Cylinder (pick up on the flywheel) he fixed it in the paddock on Sun morning bless him, but he'd been racing a 900SS with something like 112bhp at the rear wheel, won the twins championship in Holland 2 years running apparently, I had a look around the web-site for details but its all in Klogentash..... http://www.startwin.com

(don't key startwins by mistake like I did, the contents totally different !!)
Old 05-Oct-2004, 15:32
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
To spend, or not to spend is always the dilemma.

Let's face it, it's not about ultimate power...we could all run around on R6's, R1's or Gixer thous for the same money that most of us have spent on our bikes, but we don't do that because there is something special about Ducatis. It's different things to different people of course, the soul and character of what makes them so special, but it's there.

For my purposes, the ST2 is fine for most things I want it to do. It'll take Mrs Jools on the back in comfort, I can load it up with panniers and go touring, it holds it's own on the road (because I've never been left behind on a rideout) and it's even up to the occassional outing in the fast group on trackdays (as long as it's twisty and not a big power circuit). Most of all it's got that lovely seamless two valve torque that makes it such a hoot to fire out of corners. It can, and does, surprise a lot of 4 valvers, especially 748's. It's a fine all rounder, and as I've only got one bike it's great to have one that can do the lot.

But I want a bit more power, and a bit more of a sports oriented bike. One that is more focused...so what to do.

I can't afford to do that many trackdays, maybe two or three a year at most, so the majority of my riding is on the road. So what power do I need for that? I reckon that around about 100 bhp is perfect for road bikes, plenty fast enough. Anyone that seriously reckons they need (or could truly handle) substantially more than that on the road, and use it all the time, is either very brave, a complete madass or a liar. Probably all three! For the occasional trackday foray, well of course I'm going to have ZX-10's coming past me in a straight line, but I much prefer the twisty bits anyway, so I'm not hung up on having the fastest thing out there. And for the number of times I'm on the track, I can live with that.

So, about 100 bhp then.

I could spend a bit on the ST. There's part of me that says that would be great fun. Right now, what gives me a big grin is for people to say (as they have done) "Blimey, those ST's don't hang about do they? What is it an ST4?". A little bit of tuning, a little bit of weight reduction, a little bit of suspension fettling and I would have a bike with even more of the 'Q' factor that I've got now. Hmmm...a really well sorted ST that looked all inocent....Cheapish option since I already own the bike outright, but at the end of the day it's still only an ST. Silk purses and sow's ears come to mind.

And that's too much of a compromise for the other things I want the bike to do so, let's keep the ST and add another bike when I can afford it.

So there is the prospect of going aircooled and adding an SS to the stable, they already weigh about 20-25 Kg less than an ST, with a bit of tuning you should see 90 ish bhp from most SS's without getting into reliability problems, probably easier to achieve on the IE maybe even 100 ish from a 1000 DS lump (especially with a Sigma 1100 conversion). Could get a base bike for as little as £2250 - £3000 and spend some money on making it a lot lighter and with top notch brakes and suspension, which is always the best way to go faster rather than spending big money on bhp. Mmmmmm yes, a really individual lightweight (for a Duke) bike with bags of two valve grunt and sorted handling. Spare parts a-plenty, very individual, very tasty and loads of character.

Then again, if it's character and pedigree I want, something like an 851/888 would be so cool, especially if I could stretch to something like a 888 SP4 or 5 (my particular faves). You've got the required power as standard, all the pedigree you could wish for, a bike that has people drooling and again with a bit of suspension fettling could be a real giant killer. They also look like a real motorbike. Mmmmmm then again, these are starting to get rare and parts (especially the bling bits) are starting, and I tend to ride my bikes into the ground could I really do that to such a beautiful bike? Or would I be frightened to ride it as nature intended for fear of dropping it?

Yet again, one of the 916/748 derivatives... the options abound for the money. They're starting to drift into no mans land now that the newer bikes are holding sway (even previously 'died-in-the-wool' 916 shape addicts are starting to admire the 2005 bikes). So, prices of 916/748/996's etc are starting to be very attractive. A tidy 916? A £3.5K 748 with 2 - ish thou spent on one of Nelly's 855 conversions, a 996 Bip? Should be able to get anyone of those for about £5-6K. But, like I said, in my book they're in a bit of no mans land with respect to desirabilty. Not as modern as the new bikes, and too new to be real classics like the 888 (yet, although they undoubtedly will be - especially the pedigree versions like the SPS's and the R's). But one of these would be fine for me, a well sorted bike that would give me the focus and the character I want.

Or, I could just pay my deposit for a 2-3 year loan on a 749r or a 999s (probably the 749, because I do like to ride hard rather than lope along in the lazier way the big engine does) .So, in a couple of years when a) I've paid my car loan off and b) my kids are off my hands I would have a bike that would do just what I wanted, be under warranty and require no fettling apart from a few bling bits...just like everyone else.

I know that whatever, it has to be a Duke, but I have a different favourite option every week (sometimes every day), they all appeal to me equally and the options just go round and round in my thoughts...Is anybody else afflicted like this? Or am I just the only Ducati tart who flirts with the idea of any Duke I see?
Old 05-Oct-2004, 16:02
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
You're as busy at work as I am Jools???

Been thinking down very similiar lines to your post. The options would appear to pan out like this:

851/888

You're probably going to end up with an 888 as the 851 option is always a bit nerve-racking. But you want the bike, primarily as a TD bike, so you'll always be holding back 10% if you're on a nice shiny, not easy to replace, 888. Wait until you can buy one for your living room!

ST2/4/4s

Too much weight. As you point out, a 1000DS is already 30kg lighter.

Carby SS

Cheap (£2k for a good base bike). Reliable, but a bugger to get real stomp out of. At silverstone I kept finding myself behind the same R1s/ZXs/etc for lap after lap because I never had enough stomp out of a corner to show a wheel. I'm thinking about 100bhp too but with extra grunt.

FI SS

If you like/can-live-with the looks then a 1000DS has to be the best option. Rumour has it that a 1080 kit and some tweaks see around 105bhp but with a major dollop of torque for those gixer-eating moments.

Put it on a diet and you'll be looking at 105bhp/175kg which are fine stats, but, and it's a massive but, they're rarer than hen's teeth and still fetching high prices £5.5k!

So there's no perfect option. The best, financially, is a £3.5k 916. Until it goes wrong.

The best for TDs has to be a really cheap 900SS. Ditch the lights/indicators/switchgear/heavy seat/rear pegs/heavy pipes/rubber hoses/fairings.

Put on pattern half fainings/velcro LED pushbike lights/hollow carbon cans/ rearsets/front dymag/wide bars, and ride it like your arse is on fire.....

Next year you can then buy a 1000DS lump from a breakers yard and spend £3k getting it sorted.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 05-Oct-2004, 16:03
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Jools, you are not alone, your thoughts are almost identical to mine.
Old 05-Oct-2004, 16:10
500SD
Bikes: Diavel

similar dilemma guys, I ended getting a Honda (SP1) ..... I'll get me coat..........
Old 05-Oct-2004, 20:50
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
2V V 4V

costs

surely any hobby is never cost effective its the pleasure ratio you get out of spending and adapting.
if 100+bhp from a SL rocks your boat go for it,personely I prefered to spend £8000 on 3 different bikes than on 1.
apart from straight line performance theres not much in it between my SL or T8 on the twisty bits.
the T8 is about 25kg heavier which makes a difference.

Old 12-Oct-2004, 23:17
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
IMHO, which I know aint worth too much
My SSie has had a few mods to make it go quicker than the standard, special paint job, (Blooo does go faster, you know) and all the other stopper type thingies as well.
If I were to sell her to get a 748/916 for TDs then Id never get anywhere near my money back. I went into all the mods knowing this.
So Im prepared to consider moving towards a top end rebuild with all the extras, even up to 966, to get a better power output. Just want to see the faces when 102bhp puts others of the marque to shame!!!
It will cost me enough so I could have done 10 or 15 TDs, but maybe I want to keep the SS and spend on what makes it so unique
My opinion folks.............
watch out, there's a bloooduke about
rgds
mort
Old 13-Oct-2004, 02:41
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
I'm with you mort - at the end of the day, it's nice having a bike that's a little (or a lot) bit different.

Based on the amount of mods done by the other SS owners on the board (Frank, Darren, etc), looks like this is the feeling of the majority...
Old 31-Oct-2004, 20:16

Hmm... I was never aware that 90-92 hp was "entry level." I am terribly underpowered. hehehe

that's one hot kit though. i'd consider it if i had the money.