Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 18-Jan-2005, 21:37
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Silly questions probably

Hello all, just a couple of qusetions...

Can we use a 900 Monster frame with a 600 engine? (If it goes, I have no idea)

and, Can we use ANY bodywork from any bike? (i.e. Honda RS250 fairing etc.)

Thanks

DomskiDue
Old 18-Jan-2005, 21:56
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The rule book says the bike must be based on a 2V ducati not displacing more than 675cc.......................... then says the frame must remain as originally produced by Ducati.

You could play on words and interpret the 600 in a 900 in either way i guess. Best wait 'til the "overlords" answer that one i think..........

The bodywork appears to be free. No mention that it has to be Ducati. Just need the catchtank in the belly pan.
Old 18-Jan-2005, 21:57
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
I'm sure somebody will be along soon who knows what they are talking about, but for now......

900 monster frame should be the same as the 600 (it is for the SS) so that should be alright. I think the only difference is that the frame number has some reference to the original bike (my 900SS was originally a 750SS so it has a 750 in the frame number).

Watch out for suspension, forks and rear wheel which will be different for a 900 though.

A fairing can be added to a monster (and several are talking of using SBK-modified fairings). Since there is no official ducati monster fairing then you should be free to use a modified one from any bike.

Welcome aboard Domskidue!
Old 18-Jan-2005, 21:58
Big Twin

evenin' Neil!
Old 18-Jan-2005, 22:17
Big Twin

If we get clarification of the frame issue in the next 42 hours, this 900SS frame might be of interest to the Desmo-duers - only at £26 if anyone feels like some major tinkering.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...7652 000&rd=1
Old 18-Jan-2005, 22:38
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

If the 600's and 900's (and 750's) all use the same frames, then does it really matter?

As long as the running gear, forks etc. are 600 items, then it should be OK right?

It just seems that there is way more 900 stuff about than 600.

[Edited on 18-1-2005 by domskidue]
Old 18-Jan-2005, 23:04
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
the older frames with the loop arm suspension will accept both the carbed & the injected engines.

However, the older frame would need modifying if putting in an injection system (620ie) - on some of the minor crossbars (I had to do this to mine)

By the way lads, check out the condition of the rose joints of the loop arm - where they attach to the swing arm, as these have caused a few probs when owners have not maintained them - as they start to creak & then sheer off. If in any doubt, replace them.

Alan
Old 19-Jan-2005, 08:51
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Folks,

One would need to be caeful with the use of a 900 frame, as I dont have them side by side to compare the geometry and frame structure it is difficult to give a definative answer. From memory there is a variance in wall thickness and tube diameter on some of the Ducati frames dependant on engine size. If a frame ran larger diameter/thicker tubes than a std 600 it would not be allowed.

You have been warned!

Chris
Old 19-Jan-2005, 09:40
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
the 'ie' models all have the thicker trellis frame Chris( 620/750ie/800/900ie/ S4 & 1000)

All carbed models (as far as we are aware) have the identical dimensions of frame - 600/750 & 900).

Be careful with the 750 & 900 frames - and do check they were from carbed models if going down this route (pre 2002 ish. I say from then, cos there was an overlap of carbed & injected models from late 2001 to mid 2002 - and even later if sitting around in showrooms)

HTIOH

C
Old 19-Jan-2005, 10:41
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
If the frame came from a stolen recovered bike, and the frame number had been ground off, would anyone know where it came from? More importantly how could a 900 frame give any advantage over the frame from a lesser bike? I can't see this class being concerned by "built in" chassis flex somehow!

AND, if one were to run a frame with thicker tubing, surely that would give a weight disadvantage?

Methinks maybe some folks are getting a wee bit too wound up about the rules here.

[Edited on 19-1-2005 by yeti]