Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Oct-2003, 19:28

Mood: Missing Summer
Lifting rear of bike

OK, so how do YOU people do it?
I'm changing the rear shock, so paddock stand wont do it. Cant find a suitable place for a trolley jack, so assume Abba type stand is the only way?
Or can i strap round the rear subframe and hang it from the rafters - will it put too much stress on the subframe?
Also (sorry!), what about when changing C & S? Looks like its another 'not with a paddock stand' job. Was gonna get a Renthal carrier to make it easy to swap sprockets, not sure now.
Any help / ideas / put me right??
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 29-Oct-2003, 19:37
Mille

Mood: tired!!!!!!!!!
Nick to change rear sprocket is the paddock stand that goes in the other side and yes that means i have 2 paddock stands for the rear.
As far as shock goes i was told that you could put a bar through the lower back of the engine and put it on axle stands not to sure about that so went out and bought a Abba stand for a £100 including fittings for the 996.
Old 29-Oct-2003, 22:49
Big Twin

I'm no authority on this...but I managed to change both the chain/sprockets and the shock without any sort of excessive lifting.

To be honest it was a while ago I did the c&S so I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure the only real trouble I had was getting the 41mm nut off which was solid. Once this was off, i just leant the bike over a little (ie so it was resting against the wall (well protected)), slackened the chain right off, and removal the required items.

I did the same for the shock with a trolley jack under the gearbox. Things are a little unstable as it tends to be just at the balance point, so it thinks about lifting the front aswell, but with it leaning against the wall, with wooden blocks against the front wheel it was going nowhere. I only lifted the back wheel off the ground by mm's...just enough to allow for the bolts top and bottom to be removed.

There is a bit of a knack to it...but it was the first time I tried and it took me probably 35-40 minutes to change the shock over this way.

As i guess it comes down to how confident you are about doing stuff like this on your bike...otherwise look to borrow an abba stand...rather than buying one.
Old 29-Oct-2003, 22:53
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I've got an abba stand...where are you located?
paul
Old 30-Oct-2003, 11:43

A pair of "proper" footrests (fixed race type) and a homemade stand to lift under said footrests.. Sorted!

http://www.ducati.com/docs_eng/photo...mages/05_b.jpg

/B

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by Bj.O.rn]
Old 30-Oct-2003, 12:00
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bj.O.rn
A pair of "proper" footrests (fixed race type) and a homemade stand to lift under said footrests.. Sorted!

Thats very similar to the way i lift my 998 , also have two tie down straps & a box section frame from the walll to lift the front clear !
Old 30-Oct-2003, 12:08
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Prior to using an ABBA stand, I used a steel bar thru' the swingarm pivot and put and axle stand under each end......
12mm or 14mm bar goes straight through.
Lift the bike on the paddock stand, using some flat timber under the wheels will lift it higher if needs be, get the stands under then remove the stand.

The ABBA stand is a god send though. Worth the expense IMO.

C&S can be changed with the bike on the sidestand..........once the nut is loose. Just don't move the bike around too much/at all, and use the normal stand whenever possible. i.e. riveting the chain, tensioning the chain etc.
Old 30-Oct-2003, 12:31
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
I'm with Nelly.

C&S can be done with the bike on the sidestand no probs at ll.

I've hung my bike from the rafters before using ratchet tie-downs around the subframe (nearest to where it meets the trellis frame at the tank)
Old 30-Oct-2003, 12:57
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
I use a ratchit strap though the frame & over a beam in my garage real easy

Chass
Old 30-Oct-2003, 13:03
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Try a kids swing, £25 from Toys R Us for one strong enough to support a Ducati and a ratchet strap I've used this sort of set up once or twice now.

Ben makes use of it in between.

Ray