Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Nov-2003, 09:57
Mille

Mood: Feeling Sad being Ducati-less :(
Servicing Dilema - Advice Wanted

Okay guys and girls, I am after some good advice here as my bike is due a service (well to keep it in warranty anyway!).

I have a 996S, its done 3500 miles and is 18mths old.

Its had its first service, but is now due its B service.

The issue I have is two fold;

1. I have been advised that the belts need to be changed, even though its low mileage. A car cam belt will last 80000 miles or years and years, so why do these need changing so soon ?
2. Should I get the rockers checked while its under warranty since they are prone to flaking? If I don't, what risk am I running of these going on me in the future - near or far away ?

Additional info, I change the oil and filter every 1500 miles and run the bike on Motul 300 FS, plus I never start the bike on choke, so it idles at very low speeds when cold, to minimise engine wear etc.

So to my question(s);

1. Should I have the belts changed?
2. Should I have the rockers checked as well
3. I have had some pretty scary prices for this work, so what should I expect to pay for this ?
4. Snells is my nearest (trusted) Ducati dealer etc, who else (if anybody) should I trust with the work?
5. Should I really care about the warranty or just forget it and get it serviced by some other Ducati bod who is cheaper but not an authorised service centre ?

All advice/answers much appreciated.

Mutts
Old 12-Nov-2003, 10:05
Dibble

Dave,

As its the last one under warranty, make sure you go to an authorised dealer and make sure you give them a list of everything that you want checked.

It might be worth getting in touch with Guido as i beleive he has just been through the same "final warranty service" and ask him what specifically he got them to look out for.

The belts if they are scheduled to change must be done, if nothing else then for peace of mind, for the cost of them its not worth skimping.

Make sure the rockers are checked thouroghly, I had four replaced and at nudging £100 each they are not cheap, nor is the labour cost to get the little blighted out and refitted.

Go over the bike wtha fine toothcomb before booking it in, get Rattler to help, he is quite pedantic in that way .... and surely owes you a favour and get a list of all corroded, worn or generally scruffy bits that might be worth pointing out as not really being "wear n tear" due to its age/mileage ....

PDB
Old 12-Nov-2003, 10:19
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Dunno what's involved in the B service, but I'd say get the belts replaced, cheap insurance to be honest, and I think they have a life span of about 2 years, they should be replaced with kevlar items anyway, red writing on them.

I always use JHP now, last service on my Bostrom 4500 miles, they pulled everything, even re-torqued the alternator nut, which isn't due until 12,000 miles as I recall.

And after suffering a alternator nut coming off on a previous Ducati, which fortunately got covered under warranty, otherwise was going to be £1000 just for parts, let alone labour !
Old 12-Nov-2003, 10:35
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Dave.....

.....if its only 18 months old (you didn't tell me that bit!) and has only covered 3,500 miles, its not due a service for 6 months anyway!!! - or 12,000 miles!!!

Tim
Old 12-Nov-2003, 11:05
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I had the major service (the 12K miles one) done on my 748 at 6K miles just as it went out of warranty.

As part of this, the cam belts were changed and I also asked them to check the rockers for signs of damage.

They also found that the fuelling was wrong and that my Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) was also duff, so it spent an extra day in at Bob Hills in Hertford being setup correctly.

With the cost of a new DP chip (28 quid) plus the extra labour to check the rockers and setup the fuelling (as I had a JHP chip and 50mm carbon Termigs on), it came to a total of 585 quid, which was quite cheap given all the extra work they did on it!

Cam belts don't cost that much, and replacing them doesn't take too long for an experienced Ducati mechanic. For the 100-odd quid it will cost you, it's worth doing for piece of mind.

I'm sure Shazaam will be along to correct me, but Ducati belts are quite loose when cold, and tighten up quite a lot when the engine warms up and expands. This constant expansion and contraction is what kills the belts early on in their life, unlike a car where there's much more room outside the engine and it's also cooler and hence not as much stress on them.
Old 12-Nov-2003, 11:24
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Mutts, I can't recall the service schedules off hand but because the warranty is coming to a close, I'd suggest the following

1. Should I have the belts changed?
Yes, they are subject to an ageing service as well as mileage. They are stressed more than car belts due to the higher rpm and tighter radiuses of the pulleys. It's cheap insurance and if the dealer is recommending they be changed, not doing them gives them a "get out" clause in the event of something going pop.

2. Should I have the rockers checked as well
Definately. Experience shows that no matter how much care you take to prevent the flaking, if they are going to go, they will do. If any are suspect then have them done at Ducatis expense. You'll also get the latest revised parts.

3. I have had some pretty scary prices for this work, so what should I expect to pay for this ?
???? I've seen customers invoices, from dealers, between £500 - £800 depending upon the amount of work needed and time taken. Try and get a fixed price before the work is started, or at least a good estimate.

4. Snells is my nearest (trusted) Ducati dealer etc, who else (if anybody) should I trust with the work?
Snells have a good rep'. If you trust them, use them. My own bike was bought/serviced by them in it's previous owners care. The evidence of the work that was done is pretty good.

5. Should I really care about the warranty or just forget it and get it serviced by some other Ducati bod who is cheaper but not an authorised service centre ?
Get it serviced by a good independent
Seriously though, at this point in the bikes life, whilst you still have the warranty, get it done by a dealer. If there are any warranty issues with it, the extra cost of the "official" service could pale into insignificance against the cost of the parts that "could" be needed.

The only other thing you could do is take it to an independant, and have it checked over before it goes to the dealer?? If anything suspect is found then you have some ammo to see if the dealer shys away from doing the work, or for that matter checks what you've asked him to.
This is purely an idea and I have never heard of it happening before
Old 12-Nov-2003, 13:08
Mille

Guys, thanks for all of the advice.

Now I understand why the belts need changing that makes me a lot happier.

I'll have the rockers checked as well, somebody suggested that I ask them to ring me when they have it apart so that I can check them myself, but also to ensure that they have indeed stripped the bike to check them and not just charging me for the privilege (is this worth doing or can I trust Snells to do this properly?)

All in all, it sounds like I should expect a bill for 500+ quid.

Since I am putting the bike back to standard and having a power commander fitted and setup before the service, the fuelling etc will have been checked, if any problems exist with the TPS/Injection etc, this will be shown up during the setup etc.

I've had the bike apart (due to switching the parts) and its perfect and no corrosion, so I should be okay there.

Any other advice/pointers more than welcome.

The bike actually becomes 2 yrs old in March next year so I may just hold off until the new year before having it done anyway, but I want to be certain I know exactly what needs doing and why I should be paying so much !

One last point, I will be supplying my own oil as I've always used Motul 300 FS and Snells etc use Shell. Would it be worth my while me getting the kevlar belts and providing them myself, or will Snells be able to provide these at a competitive price anyway?

I normally supply all of my parts for my car etc, it works out much cheaper and I am also certain that the parts have been switched etc as I always ask for the old parts - after all, they are your property, it keeps garages etc on there toes as well !

Thanks again .........

Mutts
Old 12-Nov-2003, 13:21
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Make sure the fitting of the Power Commander won't invalidate the warranty?? Check with Snells.
It's not an "approved" Ducati mod and probably (?) not going to be fitted by a Ducati dealer(?).
The Kevlar belts are now "standard" parts. Snells will be able to provide these and you won't save anything buying them from anywhere else as they are "Ducati" parts.

I believe Snells offer DSC discounts so you may save a few quid by asking.
Old 12-Nov-2003, 13:32
Mille

I had the same service done on my 996 Bip in March this year. It had 6000 mls on the clock and was just 2 years old.

On Ducati Manchesters advice I had the 6k service done (doesnt include belts) and priced the belts in as extra as they should be replaced every two years.
I asked them to go over the bike with a fine toothcomb as I was having trouble starting and was concerned about rockers.

They replaced rockers, cams, clutch plates and basket (only charged for plates), altenator, and altenator rotor nut over and above the service and belts cost.
After DSC discount my bill was £487. (That was for the service, clutch plates and belts). The warranty part was £2500.

I was very pleased with the price and thankfull I'd got the warranty work done without any problems.
Old 12-Nov-2003, 14:20
Mille

Paul, you have convinced me to have it done !!

As regards the power commander I am not sure this will invalidate the warranty as it plugs into the existing wiring loom, no cutting etc and is no different to having a FIM Ultamap chip fitted which does the same job as such.

My bike had the termi's etc fitted along with the chip etc, etc, and that was by an authorised dealer and they said nothing about the warranty being made invalid by this work!

Besides, if the rockers have gone, the power commander will have had nothing to do with that !

Correct me if I am wrong.

Dave