Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-May-2003, 11:50
Mille
Bikes: Red Ducati 848

Mood: Feeling Great :-)
Exhaust help required

Hi all, wondering if you can help. I've had my 748BP for 3 weeks now and settling into riding it. I have a question about my exhaust. The guy who owned it befoe me said it had standard exhausts on. Which to me a non Duke owner looked about right. Now I have been looking about I dont think they are the right cans for the BP ? I have attached an image for you to have a look. The reason for my questino is that the mixer pipe is missing a bolt hole for the larger of the exhaust covers (The one with the sticker on covering the bolt hole !) Also the pipe have bolt holes for an exhaust cover ? Any advice welcome, also did anyone out there ever own this bike (P223 PCR).

Thanks
Paul
Old 13-May-2003, 12:08
Big Twin

Looks genuine to me, for one thing I dont think anyone makes replacement pipework in 45mm apart from Termignoni! The guy before has put an aftermarket carbon heatshield on, the two bolts on the pipework are where the original heatshield mounts
Old 13-May-2003, 12:16
Mille

So why does the SPS Carbon exhaust cover fit on the pipes ? Surley this cover is only meant for SPS pipes ?
Old 13-May-2003, 12:31
Big Twin

If you look behind the heatguard, does it mount to a bracket that goes around the pipe? My 998 pipes have the same mounts welded onto the tubing, but I have a carbon guard that uses brackets to mount, which is a good thing because my Silmotors dont have any mounts welded on!
Old 13-May-2003, 12:47
Mille

Found this pic on the net somewhere, they are original 45mm BP mixer pipes. Now mines a BP and doesnt have the top mounting hole ? Are my pipes the wrong ones for the bike ?
Old 13-May-2003, 13:08
888 at Last !!!

I see what you mean

and they do look like standard 45mm pipes. It's possible that the mono 748 had an exhaust shield with those mounting brackets in your first pic. The second pic shows the mixer with the standard Bip exhaust shield mounting.

Has the chip been changed? Can you see if the sticker has been removed on the computer under your seat?

Could it be early 748SPS pipework? Look on the cans. The DUCATI logo should be stamped on them and if they are Termi standards they will also have Termignoni stamped on their somewhere. (Termi did some standard cans on some models)
Old 13-May-2003, 13:10
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Generally the 748 has a metal heat shield. It looks to me as though your pipes are 99*, as those mountings are for what is known as an elephants trunk, ie a carbon shield that is curved. (there was one on ebay recently, dont know if its still there)
Old 13-May-2003, 13:12
Big Twin

Exhaust pipework

I have a P reg 748 Bip and, as you say, it appears different to yours. My heat shield attaches to the mixer pipe only, as in the bottom photo you posted off the web, via two bolts.

I don't know if the type you have on are just off SPS versions or what? I think they come like this as standard now on newer models.

If yours is different, then its both the end cans and the mixer pipe that’s wrong...and maybe even the headers?

How is the bike running? I don't think you have much to worry about, as long as its running fine and everything fits OK. My only concern would be why have they been changed? Crash damage?

Anyway...take ’em off...and get some termis:P
Old 13-May-2003, 13:35
Big Twin

Surely everyones heard of the fabled ducati parts bin? Mix and match seems to be popular with them, theres a few 916/996 bps with ohlins rears as standard instead of showa, wouldnt surprise me if it was simply a case of that, ie its friday afternoon and they grab whatevers at hand?
Old 13-May-2003, 14:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Those are not original BIP pipes. They did not have the welded on nuts for the curved heat shield. They are off an SP/SPS bike, or aftermarket pipes.