Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 18-May-2005, 21:36
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Le Mans MotoGP

Got back from Le Mans yesterday and what an eventful trip it was. Attached are a couple of souvenir photos of the trip. If you are interested I will tell you the story.
Old 18-May-2005, 21:38
500SD

Second Pic

Old 18-May-2005, 21:40
500SD

Nope
Old 18-May-2005, 21:42
Big Twin

Ahhhh these new dukes love workshop benches
Old 18-May-2005, 21:43
500SD

A thunderstorm was involved and a fuse
Old 18-May-2005, 21:47
500SD

Nope. As a result of your thread I had packed some 20 amp fuses. But it was not that.
Old 18-May-2005, 22:42
500SD

Just before the 250cc qualifiers was starting the mother of all thunderstorms descended on Le Mans. So we waited for it to pass. And we waited and we waited. Then as if by magic it stopped. Me and a mate were sat in the VIP stands and the rest of the party were in the stand bang opposite. After a couple of text messages we arrange to meet at the bikes. All waterproofed up except for one of the party who found that he had brought his son's waterproofs! So around the stalls he went to buy some (gone for 45 mins). As we were parked inside the circuit we would have to use a tunnel under the track. Problem, it was flooded and full of raw sewage! Alternative exit was found at the bottom of the circuit but because of the delay the thunderstorm had returned. Major traffic jams as everyone else had decided to make a run for it. En route to the Le mans ring road we passed the Ducati Garage. All the mechanics were out watching the bikes. Little did I know I would soon be meeting them. Around the ring road we went, a convoy of six bikes which soon became 3 because of the traffic. Onto the N157 back to our Gite. Now this is quite a fast road and our little convoy of a CBR600RR. a RVF400 and myself on the 999 was making good progress despite the rain. Wrong!!! On comes the engine management light and all the electrics go dead. Ah, thinks I. Rain and electrics - time for the 20 amp fuse that I have brought along. Wrong!!! Fuse in the cockpit is OK. Only had the bike 4 weeks are there any other fuses? So off come the fairings. Ah Ah, spies two further fuses by the battery. Ah, one's a 20 amp, but it's OK. The other's a 3 amp - it's blown. Not to worry cos I have packed two spares. Manage to blow both!!!!! The rain has now thankfully stopped and we are on the mobile back to blighty and speaking with the recovery firm. Four hours later and the bike is disappearing on the back of a recovery truck for delivery to the Ducati Dealer tomorrow morning. Following day I rode pillion to the Ducati dealer arriving there about 10.30am. They've managed to fix it. Water in the electrics, dried off overnight and a new fuse. Great thinks I. The mechanic is so sure, that he douses the bike with water with no fairing on. It still runs. So on with the fairing whilst I bung them 35 euros for a guvvie job. On with the lid, ignition on and nothing!!!! It's blown the fuse again. This now causes much scratching of heads, checks of the service manual and telephone calls. I am told to come back at 4pm. So off to the circuit I go. I am later called by the recovery firm and they want to discuss repatriation in case the bike can't be fixed. 4pm and it's back to the dealers. Who by the way speak no English. I speak 1978 O'level French! I am informed that the problem is the Datatool alarm and will I OK it to be removed. Of course I will. It is now 5.45pm and the mechanic appears with his lid on and he thumbs the starter and the rest is history cos I am now home.

So if you are out in the rain and the 3 amp fuse next to the battery blows..........well you know the cause.

Must say a big thank you to Vehicle Rescue Direct who sorted everything out for me (www.travelcover.co.uk) It was £24 well spent.

[Edited on 18-5-2005 by chrisw]

[Edited on 19-5-2005 by chrisw]

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit