Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Apr-2004, 22:29
Montjuic

Mood: picture crazy
changing out rear/front rims- what\'s needed/how hard?

so i'm buying some wheels for when i have track duty- they're the same as what i have now on the 749, but i'm throwin on some race rubber.

now, i have the two wheels in my posession- i'm assuming i'll need to pick up a bunch of other parts? (brake disks/sprockets etc)

how hard is it to change out the sprocket/disks once the wheels are off- of is it worth just buying all new stuff?

also- i've never taken off either wheel from the 749- once the bike is up from stands, what's involved with switching out wheels?

thanks!
Old 06-Apr-2004, 08:41
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Try to get the discs on the wheels , swapping the discs over every time you swap wheels would be a pain

The sprocket carrier and cush drive rubbers are quicker to swap from one wheel to another but once again it would be better to have them on both wheels , less chance of getting dirt in the cush drive and less hassle , also you may want a differnt size sprocket on the rear for running wets

Changing over wheels is relatively easy and can be done by one person although it is easier with two , practice at home first though ,you don't want to be doing it for the first time at the track

An important thing to remember when changing the front wheel is remove the brake callipers first , after you have undone the bolts , rock the callipers from side to side on the discs to push the pads / pistons back into the body of the calliper before you slide it off the disc , this makes it a lot easier to get back on afterwards.

A good plan would be to go to your local tyre shop and watch very closely how the fitter there does the job , learn from him